What's new

Suggestions for 70 incher, Budget $3K? (1 Viewer)

BarryNS

Stunt Coordinator
I have been very happy with my JVC 56FH97 RPTV for 6 years now however the original bulb is finally dying and I also have the light engine "dingies" and blobs beginning to appear, so I figure it's time to upgrade versus plopping a new bulb in only to watch the light engine blobs just get bigger and darker.
Seating position is approx 10 feet from the screen and I am VERY tempted to go bigger this time for the "immersive" effect - but there don't seem to be many sets available in the 60-70 inch range compared to the available 70 inch sets. It's a pretty bright room however I can make it pretty dark quite easily whenever I need to with the window coverings I have. The layout of the room means viewers are all pretty much centered in front of the screen a few feet to either side versus spread out over wider angles.
The TV mounting will be on the existing stand I have for the JVC which can easily handle a 70 inch set.
Viewing material is a pretty even three way split between HD satellite (Dish Network), some PS3 gaming (Uncharted first person shooter, Gran Turismo), bluray and some streamed HD media files via the PS3 which is hardwired by ethernet to my highspeed router and PC. Everything is hooked in and switched through my Yamaha receiver with HDMI. I'm really not sold on the whole 3D thing so I doubt I'd be willing to pay anything extra for 3D capability. I could care less about internet access and built in streaming service features since I can do all that with the PS3 anyway. And I can't remember the last time I watched anything on standard def or DVD.
I never really was concerned with input lag with the JVC as I got it before I had a gaming system, and after getting into games with the PS3 it seems to be fine.
Any suggestions? The Sharp sets in 70 inch seem nice on paper and with the pricing. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with plasma at this budget level since I'm afraid of losing parts availability over the longer term if more manufacturers bail on the technology, just like has happened with my JVC and light engine availability and costs in the 6 years I have had that set.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Consider the Mitsubishi 73-inch DLP sets. Amazon has them starting at $1150. All but the lowest model are 3D ready out of the box (with DLP-link active shutter glasses, sold separately), and they sport a great picture. I have the Mits 73838 and am very happy with it.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
I 2nd Steve's recommendation.
I saw them as low at $900 at Christmas. The 82" version can be had at paulstv.com for $1650 (you may have to look around abit for a coupon). PaulsTV does most of amazons fulfillment on the Mits stuff.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Sharp has an 80" 1080p flat panel if you want to check that out but it is a little over budget at $4,499.99
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11758383&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&eCat=BC|90607&N=4047300%204294967118&Mo=4&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
I worked on a Sharp 80"er yesterday. Great results....however the off axis viewing angles on this display make this display a terrible choice for multiple person viewing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks