1. I'm looking for suggestions on 7.1 amps. I'm building a new low-end HT in our basement that we are finishing. The room was prewired for 7.1 surround sound. I've decided to use JBL speakers throughout the room (except for the subwoofer which I think will be Dayton). The TV I bought for the room is a JVC HD-52Z585. (BTW, the JBL speakers are 3 HTI55's for the front/center, and a pair of HTI6's for the side surrond and HTI6's for the rear, all speakers are in-wall, (please don't criticize me too much for that decision)).

The price on the amp is one of the biggest factors since I spent most of my money on the TV. I figure I can upgrade the amp at a later time.

I want to be able to use DISH satellite TV, cable TV input, HD, DVD, a tuner, etc. from the amp. I don't need multi-zones since I didn't do any wiring for multi-zones. Firewire connector would be nice.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    david.

2. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

I am looking for a 6.1/7.1 setup for my basement and i've been refered to the Pioneer 1014tx. I researched it, it is pretty damn sweet. 110x7. Decently priced as well compaired to the competition.
    Thats what my suggestion would be.

3. boe_d

boe_d Extra

I would audition just about every other brand of speakers before selecting the jbls. Your speakers are one of the most important parts of your setup.

4. Here are the receivers/amps that I'm looking at:

Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K (THX)

Kenwood VR-8070 (THX)

Yamaha HTR-5760 (not THX)

Denon AVR-785S (not THX)

Sony STR-DE997/B (not THX)

Is THX really necessary?

Any comments on any of the above systems. (There has been one post about the Pioneer receiver.) The review on one site about the Kenwood was very positive.

Thanks,
    david.

5. JustinG

JustinG Stunt Coordinator

I have the HTR 5760 running in 7.1. It rocks. I couldn't have made a better decision.

I see you have an HDTV with an HD receiver. The 5760 does not have component upconversion, only svideo upconversion, though it does have component switching.

If you don't have enough direct inputs for component on the tv and you need the receiver to switch signals, then look at the HTR 5790. It is the same receiver but has component upconversion. Has the other same features as the 5760.

You can get the 5760 at street price of $400 shipped. The 5790 is about 500 shipped. Make sure to buy from an authorized dealer like a onecall or jr.com.

You will not be disappointed with the receivers though. They rock and are a great value.

6. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

I would suggest the pio 1014. auto set up/eq is the best innovation. helped a friend with purchase decisions and set up, the pio is running cantons and the sound is really good.

regards, tom.