Suggestions for $6-7K 7.1 speaker system for HT

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianChim, Jun 12, 2002.

1. BrianChim

BrianChim Agent

I have $6-7K for 7.1 (or 7.2) speaker system for dedicated home theater use -- not for music. I am pretty sure that I will buy the dual SVS-ultras for $2K, leaving 4-5K for fronts, center, and 2 sets of rears. Room size is 25X16. Probably will use Rotel 1066 plus Rotel or Outlaw amp. Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated. Local dealers are recommending Energy Veritas vs B&W N805s/SCM1/HTM2 (but I'm not sure about bookshelf speakers filling this room as well as floorstanding fronts)

2. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Both the 805's and the Veritas are great speakers. I owned the Veritas 2.0R surrounds in a setup that included the PSB Gold i's and C6i. Sounded very good, but I decided to purchase the Polk LSi line for the whole "system matching" thing. I own the Lsi25's, but if you have dual SVS ultras you might consider the 15's, as I've heard great things about them as well. Top it off with the LSiC, the LSiFX, and matching 9's and you'd be set. I won't think about upgrading from my current speaker setup until I've got 10k to throw around. My 2 cents.

3. BrianChim

BrianChim Agent

Thanks,
    Anyone else with suggestions?
    Any comments on bookshelf vs tower/floorstanding fronts for this size room?

4. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

With 2 subs I think bookshelves would fill it, larger bookshelves that can handle some power of course. I haven't really demoed speakers in your price range, but I know the B&W 602's (which are bookshelves) can easily fill a room of that size. I would suspect nautilus would easily.

5. BrianChim

BrianChim Agent

Is there any advantage of having a floor standing speaker in a medium sized room for dedicated HT if paired with dual SVS-ultra subs. Maybe better to get a really nice bookshelf speaker such as the B&W nautilaus 805s, or others. Or does the tower approach add anything?

6. BrianChim

BrianChim Agent

No other suggestions?

7. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

Brian, with two ultra subs you probably wouldn't benefit from towers unless you listen to a lot of 2 channel music. I home demoed a rotel 1095(200x5 and 1075 (125x5) with 805s and a htm2 center I listened for hours with dvds and music a very nice combo but a lot of money I had buyers remorse even before I bought. My dealer also sells paradigm one listen to the studio 100s and at the same price as the 805s and I realized they were a well built fantastic sounding speaker for money and as far as the paradigm center I personally thought it sounded better than the htm2 at half the price! one look at paradigms studio line and you'll see the build quality is awesome[​IMG] I keep two quarters standing up on top of my studio 100s I crank the music and they don't ever move now that's solid. I love the towers and I have a svs 20-39 + sub they work well together but you could get the studio 40s all around and be happy too.I suggest you find a paradigm dealer and listen them you wont be dissapointed[​IMG]
    my advice is have fun demoing and enjoy your buying experience its half the fun[​IMG]
    Good luck Bob

8. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

Brian,

If you really want speakers for ht only the you should consider atlantic technolgy and M&Ks great speakers for what your looking for.

Bob

9. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Also audition some of the Klipsch Reference series. I love the horns for HT and you might also. Tweeter has em to demo...

10. BrianChim

BrianChim Agent

Thanks everyone

11. James Tg

James Tg Stunt Coordinator

I auditioned Klipsch's speakers before, and think they are excellent for HT but not good for music. Klipsch's dynamics is outstanding, but has some distortion in sound. If you want both, Paradigm is the best choice IMO.

James

12. george king

george king Supporting Actor

3 pairs Kef Q7's
    Kef Q9 for center.

Hope this helps.