Suggestions for $500 Subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobF, Feb 3, 2003.

1. RobF

RobF Auditioning

Hi all. I am in the market for a subwoofer with a budget of approximately $500 - $600 Canadian. Initially, I had looked at Paradigm and Def Tech. Does anyone have any other suggestions that fit my budget? 80% HT/20% Music.

Your input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Have you considered DIY. There are some great kits out there that do really require much in the way of woodworking skills, and you will get a significantly better sub. Barring that, in your price range the Adire Audio Rava would be the sub of choice.

3. jaydee

jaydee Stunt Coordinator

SVS box or cylinder series.

I have the 16-46 PCi powered @ $600+. SVS has stuff in the $500 which sounds great too. Actually, my neighbor hooked me on SVS based on his unpowered (powered by seperate amp)25-31 @$379. If someone in your area has any SVS, I highly recommend you listen to it after you've listened to everything else.

I just ordered the new PB1-ISD to support my PCi. Haven't heard it yet because it has just been introduced. But my confidence in SVS has set my benchmark. I think you won't be dissapointed.

4. MikeCooper

MikeCooper Extra

I recommend you get the Velodyne CHT-10, it's about 650 at futureshop, and you'd probably be able to talk them down a bit. Very good sub for the money.

Sure SVS are amazing, but you cant just drive down to the local futureshop and get one. And well, DIY subs just dont look good enough for my tastes.

I have a friend with the CHT-10 for his setup, he is almost 100% HT, and man do movies sound amazing on it, Band of Brothers was great!

Here's the futureshop link if you want it:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...=&newdeptid=10

5. RobF

RobF Auditioning

For me, building my own sub is not an option I want to pursue.

For SVS and HSU etc., taking into account the exchange and shipping, the price would be somewhere in the $800 range.

I did see the Velodyne's at Future Shop, I have not listened to them, I will.

I am looking for the best bang (thump) for the buck!

Rob

6. jaydee

jaydee Stunt Coordinator

Wow! $800? How did we get so far above the $500 price point you were aiming for? I thought the Hsu VTF-2 was $449 + shipping which can't be more than $50 or so. Depending on which SV sub, one can still stay around $500.

Rob: If you want...listen to what evewrybody has to say, then go listen for yourself. Everybody's ear may hear something different. I went and listened to Velo's recently and really liked the VLF-1012. For a $499 (http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=velvlf1012) I thought it was a "Badda Boom" sub. But you could probably listen to the same sub and get something different out of it. I recently had a good friend ask me what I thought of various brands of speakers because he knew I'd recently run the gauntlet of demonstrating everything on Earth. After repeatedly telling him to listen rather than take my advice, he ended up buying a brand I didn't like. Trust your ears, not what I have to say.

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jaydee,

Rob is in Canada. That's why it would cost him roughly $800.

8. jaydee

jaydee Stunt Coordinator

Yep! I realized that right after I submitted the post, when I looked up FutureShop.ca (as in Canada) not dotcom. I confirmed it when I went back to the top of the post.

My bad! I'm annoucing my candidacy for the Dooey Dipsh*t award today. I think I've won it hands down. Thanks for everyone's support.

9. RayJK

RayJK Stunt Coordinator

Perhaps a VMPS original sub with an old amp will suit your needs. You can get the sub in kit form that will help keep the cost down.

10. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Hey, Brian! Could you build something for about $600 Canadian and make enough of a profit on it after shipping?

Rob, Brian Bunge of Rutledge Audio Design is a sub builder. See his post to Jaydee above. You might want to drop him a line and ask if he could swing it for you. I know he knows his stuff, is a great guy, and has an excellent rep here for making subs that would blow commercial subs away. I don't know if the exchange rate would cut it, though. Never hurts to ask.

11. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I don't think Brian could do to much on a $300-325US budget, which after exchange, shipping, brokerage and taxes would be about what he'd have to work with. A VTF2 would be over $800CDN by the time you got it up here and a SVS would be a $1000CDN or more.

If you aren't willing to build (easily the best sub you could possibly get for anywhere near $600) my suggestion would be to do some looking in the papers for a used Paradigm PW2200 or a Mirage BPS400. Either that or save an extra $200 or so and get a new PW2200.

Mike, the appearance of a DIY sub depends entirely on the time you put into it. There are many DIY subs that put the finish on all but the most expensive commercial subs to absolute shame (no mine isn't one of them :p)).

12. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Dustin's right. I could build something for that budget, but either I'd make nothing on it, or you'd be better off just buying a Dayton DLS 10" for what I could build for $300 US and still make a decent profit.

13. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

14. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

It's probably worthwhile to audition some of the entry level subs like the Sony SA-M40 (list CDN$300, street CDN$250) and maybe the D-Box's David 300 series sub (just under CDN$300 at Costco)...forgot which model they carry, either 300/301/302/303. In your budget, you might consider getting a pair of them.

While I have no personal experience with either sub, there are threads here that discusses both.

With Costco's great return policy, it's easy and safe to take one home to audition in YOUR room.

Otherwise, you would have to increase your budget several hundred dollars to get the Paradigm PW2200. A bit more than your budget (CDN$626 plus shipping and taxes), the Adire Rava is available from Creative Sound Solutions http://www.creativesound.ca

Dave

15. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

To RobF:

hmmm....

Hurry though. That sounds like a pretty sweet deal, and since you're both freezing your noses off in Winterpeg you could probably just pick it up.

I emailed the guy, he's basically ditching his system cuz he can't justify the space it's taking up or something. Plus, the sub is like 4 months old and has a throw-in interconnect.

J

16. Tyler DJW

Tyler DJW Stunt Coordinator

Your in Canada... that makes this seem pretty easy. I would stick with Paradigm. If you can get your hands on a PW-2200 anywhere near your price range, I understand they're excellent subs. I've also heard the PDR subs and been impressed by them for the money.

...my 2¢

17. RobF

RobF Auditioning

Value wise, I think Paradigm is the frontrunner. As for models - there is PDR 10/12 and the PS series 1000/1200. How much difference between the PDR 12 and the PS1000 for instance?

Comments?

18. jaydee

jaydee Stunt Coordinator

19. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

RobF if you can swing it I would definitely go with the PW-2200 if DIY is not a option. You might be able to find a demo with the full warranty? The PW-2200 is a very respected sub by most.____________________

Brian I am still drooling. Wow! What a sub.

20. RobF

RobF Auditioning

I looked at the link from Jaydee and other reviews on the web. It is fairly clear that the PW-2200 would be the way to go, the main issue would be the $$$. What would one of these set you back. I did see a couple on ebay for $900+.

Rob