Suggestions for 35 ft. wiring run to subwoofer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JonahWicky, Jan 11, 2002.

1. JonahWicky

JonahWicky Stunt Coordinator

The only possible location for my subwoofer is going to require about 35 ft. of cable from the receiver. The line out at the receiver and line in at the sub are both RCA jacks. It seems like 25 ft. is the longest commonly available patch cable. Right now, I'm thinking about piecing 2 cables together, either M-M to M-F, or M-M to M-M with a female splice connector. I'm worried about signal loss from using this jury-rigged set up.

Does anyone know of a source for reasonably priced good quality cables long enough to reach? Is the spliced together arrangement going to cause enough signal degradation to worry about? Is there a better way than RCA cable, like some other type with adapters to fit the RCA jacks?

Sorry, this should be posted in the wiring forum.

2. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

If you do a search on subwoofer cable, you'll find that a slight majority of the posts will recommend any decent RG6 coax cable. To convert the F type connectors to RCA's, Radio Shack has F to RCA converters that run about $3-4 each. Home Depot has their RCA brand coax in 50' runs and shouldn't exceed $10. So you should have a solution for less than $20.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    See if you can get the RG-6 cable with gold plated connectors for the ends and use the gold plated F-RCA adaptors at each end. Otherwise, you could patch together two RCA cables that are also gold plated with a gold plated coupler.

4. Lee-c

Lee-c Second Unit

I guess it depends on how good of a cable you want and what your opinion is on how much the
    quality of the cable affects the purity of the signal. I have a similar situation, in that
    when we get a sub it's going to have to be placed at the opposite end of the room from the
    rest of the stereo equipment. This is going to require one very long interconnect. And
    considering the expense we went to on making sure the rest of the system has good cables, I'm
    not real thrilled about the idea of using any junk cable that happens to be cheaply available
    for this one part of the stereo system. That seems like wimping out just when the
    system is almost complete. [​IMG]
    Now the problem is where to get such a good cable that won't cost a fortune for such a long
    distance. One option that you might want to consider is Better Cables Silver Serpent Interconnect.
    You can buy them in singles, since you won't need a pair. And they come in up to 15 yard lengths
    that will easily reach anywhere you might place your sub. I've heard nothing but good things
    about the quality of their cables and the price is very reasonable, considering the length.
    They advertise at the top of the forum pages here on the HTF, just click on their logo
    to check out their cables.

5. Christian Dolan

Christian Dolan Stunt Coordinator

Actually, I think the easiest thing to do is to have some RG-6 custom-terminated with RCA ends. This would eliminate any concern about adapting connectors while giving you the legth you need. When I was doing install, we used quad-shield for long sub runs.

-Christian

6. JonahWicky

JonahWicky Stunt Coordinator

Is that correct, what Lee said about only needing 1 cable? I was assuming I needed to run a pair. It makes a big difference in my thinking if only 1 is needed. Does it matter which of the 2 outputs or inputs are used?

I like Christian's idea of using the RG-6. I already have an old thin coax network cable with BNC connectors on both ends. Is this the right kind of coax?

Thanks for all the good info so far.

7. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Jonah, that cable you have probably would work, but if I were you, I would just go to radio shack and buy 50 feet of RG-6 coax.

Cut the cable to the lenghth you want then either buy RCA type terminations to solder on.

If you are not too much on soldering, Radio shack sells screw on F-type ends. After you put these on, buy the screw on F to RCA ends that will screw into the F terminations you already screwed on to the cable.

This will be your best bet cost wise, and will do everything you need for a subwoofer cable at a price significantly less then a place like bettercables.

J

8. Lee-c

Lee-c Second Unit

Jonah,
    If you are using a powered sub (therefore speaker cables are not needed) connected to the sub-out
    on your receiver or preamp, then only one cable is needed. All the low bass below your receiver's
    crossover point is sent to your sub (if you have your other normal speakers set to "small"
    on the receiver), this only requires one cable to do.
    Certainly there are other lower cost types of cable to get. It would just seem odd to me personally
    to have good cable throughout my system, only to use cheap stuff for my sub. That would seem
    to somewhat defeat the purpose of having good cables in the first place. Which is to keep
    sound quality very high. But I don't know what kind of other cables you have, so it may
    not make much difference in this case.
    The Better Cables was just a suggestion where you could get a good quality interconnect without
    spending an arm and a leg. [​IMG]