Suggestions for 3 way design

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Trueblood, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Mike Trueblood

I need some suggestions for building a pair of full range front speakers. I already have built my own 5.1 setup using a 2 way speaker design and a sub with a pair of 10s matched with the PE 250W amp. Several days ago I picked up the Denon 1803 receiver which is 6.1. Instead of building another surround I would like to build some larger front speakers which can handle the bass my current speakers can't. I need keep the cost as low as possible, and still have a good sounding speaker.

What are some of the things I need to look for in matching drivers / crossovers. Are there 2 way designs which will also produce full range and still be fairly cheap? What are the best low cost driver brands.

Thanks for the help

Mike

2. Even with "full range speakers" I would still use a sub. Very few full range speakers can reproduce the bass that a good sub can. If possible, I would try to XO the mains at 60-40hz instead of the usual 80-100hz if you go 3-way. When you listen to music, then use the 3-ways set to LARGE and don't use a sub.
    Timber Matching peakers isn't the easiest. when you are mixing between brands. What are your current 2-ways?
    As for a good 3-way, I would recommend the 3-way designed at the recent DIY 2002 contest back east.
    here is a link:
    http://hometown.aol.com/pjay99site/speakerhome.html
    click in 2002 then 3-way. I forget the drivers on the XO, but you can just make a post at www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/discuss.cgi This is where a lot of the DIY guru's hang out.
    EDIT, these speakers are not THAT cheap but excellent quality. WHat do you consider to be the upper limit of your budget not including cabinet building costs?

3. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

The drivers are listed elsewhere in the site...

* A 10" Peerless 850146 woofer
    * A 5.25" Vifa MG14WK09-08 Mid
    * A Hiquphon OW1 Tweeter

'Looks like a lot of fun. Some of us DIY-ers in the Tucson, AZ area are starting to talk about holding the second annual DIY event... Last year was a blast!

4. Mike Trueblood

I'm not planning to stop using my sub, I think my sub sounds awesome. What I want to do is set my speakers to large as to have a more defined sound when there is a large amount of bass and LFE at the same time.

The 2 ways I have now are my own design. They use a pyle pro mid woofer and a PE tweeter. I'm sure you guys will frown on the components I have used, however I think they sound awesome. You can't beat a $16 speaker when your in college. My center has 2 Vifa 6.5 woofers and the same PE piezo tweeter. The pyle drivers are only rated to reach down to about 80hz. I would like something that can get down to about 40hz.

I was thinking of using the same tweeter / midwoofer drivers along with an 8 inch woofer. I would like to build the pair for under $200 if possible. If not I'll probably just build another 2 way for the 6th channel and leave my current fronts.