Suggestions for 2ch setup?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Standefer, Jul 30, 2001.

1. Robert Standefer

Robert Standefer Stunt Coordinator

I'm spending more and more time in my home office as I work hard to get my new book done by October 10, and I've found that CDs playing in my Macintosh just doesn't cut it. I also miss radio.
    So I'm thinking of putting together a 2ch audio system. I already have a spare set of Polk RT600 mains, and I have some spare cables, so all I need is the hardware. My budget is $600 to $1000, and I'd like to keep it as low as possible (gotta save up for the Integra Research RDC-7). So far the only thing I've looked at with any seriousness is the NAD L40 CD receiver ($599). It sounds good, looks good, and fits the budget.
    I want to make sure I make the right decision. I've noticed that prices in the 2ch area differ greatly from piece to piece (e.g., Kenwood and Sony low-fi are the same price as ROTEL mid-fi).
    Someone help me! Steer me toward some good products that will give me stereo FM, a CD player, and good musicality. I'll primarily listen to classical and opera on the system. If I know what to look for, I'll know where to go to audition it.
    FWIW, the Polk mains are typically on the bright side, and not too bassy.
    Thanks in advance!
    Rob
    ------------------
    "What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? Chicken?"

2. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

Off the top of my head, I'd go for a used Adcom, NAD or Rotel preamp/tuner (an older Adcom GTP-500II is a nice one (IMO) which can be had for under $200 easy) and a Parasound HCA-1000A amplifier (Parasound amps match my Polks nicely; used price is around $300). For a CD player, I'd pick up a Marantz, NAD or Sony ES model.
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
    [​IMG]