Suggestion TO SVS

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Brian Elwood, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Brian Elwood

Brian Elwood Stunt Coordinator

Since I always have to adust the volumn a little whe nI go from movies to music (I seem to have to boost it for music), I have turned the sub a little for easier adjusting.

HOWEVER - my suggestion for coolness.

Redue the Amp so there is a "cool" factor so we can actually have THAT part IN THE FRONT!!

Make the amp part more visually friendly and the sub will look even more impressive.

Just thinking out loud.

2. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

Brian

Can't you adjust the sub level on the receiver or Pre/pro via remote?

Although I agree i would love to see a remote capability.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Somehow they'd have to do it so it looks good. The subs that I've seen with controls on the front, or top corner in the front (Mirage and Velodyne), don't look so great. A remote would be ideal, if it doesn't add much to the cost. [​IMG]

4. Rudi B

Rudi B Stunt Coordinator

Configure, calibrate and EQ the sub's amp, and then don't touch it ever again. There. [​IMG]

5. MingL

MingL Stunt Coordinator

If adding a remote adds $500 more to the price, I'd forget about it.

6. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

My pre/pro can remember the sub level for each format. So I have it set a little hotter for DD/DTS inputs vice 2 channel redbook or high res. Plus, using the sub level in the pre/pro is far more precise and convenient that guesstimating with the gain at the sub plate amp and then having to recalibrate to veriy.

7. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

Not interested in remote for subwoofer, as I have seperate settings for each mode. If that adds costs I would get the non-remote version.

And not interested in cool factors (ie lit logo)
    The amp panel is easy to use. Just read the manual.

8. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

Maybe I am spoiled too but my AVR handles that for me. It remembers level settings for each format, be it DD, DTS or even simply the "Surround Off" mode.

I wouldn't want to pay for extra stuff on a sub. Don't get me wrong, the idea of a remote controlled sub is interesting, but anything that adds cost to those subs would be a disadvantage in my eyes. They have such an amazing cost/performance as it is. I wouldn't want to damage that.

Just my opinion...

Tony

9. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Uh... turn the sub so the amp is facing otuwards?

10. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

WAF may be an issue there. My wife would certainly not be pleased with it. [​IMG]

Tony

11. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

why didnt you get an ampless SVS (passive?) and buy your own amp that can be remote controlled? or a reciever that can do it.

12. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

My sub (Cambridge Soundworks P1000) has a remote, and I never use it. It is terrific for calibration, but not everyday use. My AVR remembers sub levels for both inputs, AND also surround modes (DTS, Stereo, DPLII). Using the AVR, you can be exact with your sub levels. Using the remote on the sub, you can adjust by ear, but then you can't get back to the exact level you started at when you are done.

Greg

13. David_L_S

David_L_S Auditioning

Previously, before getting my current pre/pro, I calibrated my subwoofer levels for each source and left it there. I was following the adage that "it sounds the way it was recorded". But when I went to the AVM-30, I found myself enjoying the ability to set the bass and/or LFE quickly by remote on different recordings (my old reciever required getting into the set-up menu to make these adjustments). And I can easily set it back to the calibrated level. Many recordings (including movies) are too light/heavy on the bass for my taste and having the ability to make "on-the-fly" adjustments has been great.

Dave

14. Brian Elwood

geez- ALL I was saying was that it would be nice - not that I had any PROBLEM with turning my own dials.

I HAVE turned the sub around a little but the speaker cords are WONDERFULL play things for the cats.

15. Sam A

Sam A Stunt Coordinator

"Make the amp part more visually friendly and the sub will look even more impressive."

thats what external power amps and passive subs are for.
    if you want cool factor, buy a neon kit for you sub. to me, anything looking cool is very ugly. meaning I like simple things.

16. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Actually suggest something better such as a good multimedia sub for our computers.

17. David K.

David K. Second Unit

I have a suggestion for SVS,

is there any possible way to offer your tube subs in different colors? more specifically white?

a white sub would blend in with my walls and look less intrusive, I would also assume that since many homes have white painted walls, this move would nod towards WAF and possibly move more units?

18. Brian Elwood

I'm not sure a WHITE SUB would get as good of base.

19. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

is that a joke brian?

20. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

SVS could include colour (yes COLOUR NOT COLOR!) matched stumps, instead of the standard black-for-all-finished cylinder/box subs. It doesn't look right with a wood finish sub with black stumps.