suggestion on receiver? plz

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by evanWhite, Jan 22, 2006.

1. evanWhite

evanWhite Auditioning

im looking to buy a receiver but i do not want a receiver that is way better than my speakers. so i want a receiver equal to my speakers.

my speakers are,

2 JBL E90's - 225 watts 8 ohms sensitivity 91 db
    6 JBL E50's - 175 watts 8 ohms sensitivity 90 db
    1 JBL EC35 - 150 watts 8 ohms sensitivity 91 db

i dont have a good sub yet but ill get that after the receiver.

any input is appreciated. thank you in advance.

if you have any more questions just ask

2. Jeff Pounds

Jeff Pounds Second Unit

Evan,

It would be helpful if you would let people know what your budget is, as well as what you consider the most important features. The reason is that unless you are willing to shell out big bucks for a high-end receiver, there are going to be tradeoffs in both features and performance for a lower price level. The key is to figure out what are most important to YOU.

As I'm sure you know, there are literally hundreds of receivers out there with features and price points all over the map.

Not knowing what your budget at all, I'll recommend one as a starting point.

I own the Pioneer VSX-1015TX. It is generally considered one of the better "bang-for-buck" receivers out there. You can find it on various Internet sites (make sure you use an authorized Pioneer dealer...) for around $420 shipped.

It is a 7.1 receiver that is THX Select 2 certified and does all of the digital formats and Dolby ProLogic IIx.

It has a number of features typically reserved for higher-end models, including upconverting to component video and Pioneer's MCACC calibration system.

Other brands that have good reputations among HTF members are Yamaha, Harmon/Kardon and Onkyo. I'll let others make recommendations on those.

I hope this gives you a good starting point. Let us know what your budget is and others can make recommendations.

Good luck!

3. John S

John S Producer

Yamaha 5890....

4. MWestyn

MWestyn Stunt Coordinator

I have a friend building a system and I had him audition my Marantz sr7300 with his Northridge speakers and it sounded fantastic! He had a yamaha receiver hooked to it and it sounded awful (to my ears)...the highs were just plain harsh...the Marantz's neutral or warm sound really works well with these speakers.

Check out Accessories4less.com...they are the only authorized marantz retailer on the web. Or you can buy grey market for probably cheaper.

5. evanWhite

evanWhite Auditioning

thank you all so much for input .

um i was looking at the yamaha 5990 so receceivers in that price range would be ideal.

6. Jeff Pounds

Jeff Pounds Second Unit

Evan,

If you are looking for receivers in that price range, you should check out the Pioneer Elite line.

Specicfically, the VSX-54TX.

I would also look at the H/K models in that range.

One thing that I would definitly recommend at that price point is auditioning the receiver in your HT enviornment.

Don't trust how the receiver sounds in the store -- there are literally dozens of variables that effect sound reproduction in your home that you never know which reciever/speaker combo will sound best to you unless you try them out.

7. Brian McD

Brian McD Auditioning

You might consider an HK 635. After doing a bunch of research on receivers in the $500 to $800 range, I decided on a refurbished unit from the manufacturer (on eBay) and paid significantly less than you can get it from any other on-line retailer. From what I hear, the refurbished units directly from HK are as good or better than buying new since the manufacturer has actually tested the unit. Plus you get a full factory warranty.

I don't have the unit yet....it should be here in two days. Once I get it, I will report back on its condition, etc.

8. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

How about the Boston Acoustics AVR7120? Has an MSRP of $2999 (note: this model is apparently a rebadged Sherwood Newcastle R965, which has an MSRP of $2000) but is currently on sale (backordered) at OneCall for $800 plus shipping. Wow! [​IMG]

Edit: Here's a review: http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/705boston/

Edit2: Product page at the Boston Acoustics website: http://www.bostonacoustics.com/home_...product_id=330

Description from the OneCall product page:

Description
    The Boston AVR Electronics are a triumph of performance driven power, versatility, and control; the launching pad for creating the difference between home theater and true theater for the home. The elegant power behind the ultimate performance. These Audio/Video components are beauty, brains and brawn heavyweights. Their enhanced power supplies and large heat sinks easily produce abundant power for all 7 channels in all the latest surround formats. The uncomplicated design disguises a wizardry of flexible connectivity. They even analyze and calibrate themselves, amplifying the awe while accelerating precision installation.

Innovative UniView circuitry creates a common video signal path for the best possible picture no matter what your TV. The USB input brings streaming audio from your PC. And, it’s all controlled with a simple, one-touch, LCD learning remote. AVR Electronics components are the result of the superior design and engineering synonymous with every product bearing the Boston Acoustics name; products that set the standard for dynamic, undistorted, room-filling sound. When connected to our award-winning speakers in a complete Boston system, the sound is utterly stunning. Smooth, octave-to-octave tonal balance without favoring one frequency over another. Greater detail with no distortion from one end of the spectrum to the other. Clear and uncolored. Pure and natural. The true-to-the-original performance known as The Boston Sound.

Dolby Digital EX, DTS ES, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, DTS Neo:6, DTS 96/24

Power output rated at 8 ohm /.05% THD: 120 watts per channel x 7

UniView video format up conversion

Universal/Learning IR remote control

Zone 2 A/V output with supplied Zone 2-only IR remote control

3 HD-compatible component video inputs

6 Video inputs, 4 Audio inputs

8-channel preamp inputs and outputs with dual subwoofer output

USB audio input

Auto set up with supplied microphone

RS232 control

IR inputs and output

Dual 12-volt trigger outputs

30 FM/AM tuner presets

Dimension: 7.086 x 17.323 x 17.716 inches HxWxD

Weight: 60 lbs [​IMG]

Link: http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetail...=true&id=26575

9. MWestyn

MWestyn Stunt Coordinator

As has been said, there is no replacement for in-home trial.