Suggestion on Port. MP3 player to buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Winston D, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Winston D

Winston D Agent

Hello people. I am in the market for a portable MP3 player. I've seen different price ranges from $100- $350. Other than space capability, what are important features I have to look out for? Any advice on which one is better? I don't really know how much money I need to pay but if it's top notch quality, i don't mind getting a pricey one if it's worth it. I've read good reviews on the iPod. Is there any other comparable model? Thanks. I cpuld use any type on info on this so I will be confident paying for it.

2. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

The iPod is amazing. There are Windows based models out now too! I have an Archos 6000. It holds a lot and is cheap, but its interface sucks. I had a Rio for 29 days then it suddenly died on me. The Rios have the best layouts and ease of use of the models I have used, but the reliability is not there. I say go with the iPod man!

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

The first thing to do is decide whether you want a CD-based unit or a hard-drive based one. I've used the new Panasonic SL-MP36 (same as MP35 but with car kit) and have no complaints - seems like a very decent unit. I recently bought a Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox with 10GB hard drive and just love it. The way it organizes songs takes a bit of getting used to and the companion PC software leaves a bit to be desired, but it's a very solid player.

4. Trent C

Trent C Agent

I second the iPod. A very nice little piece of hardware and not cumbersome to use. Don't have one myself, yet. I have lusting after one for some time now.

Trent

5. mike caronia

mike caronia Second Unit

Well, I just bought a 10 gig I-Pod yesterday. It is a great little device. I don't own a MAC (today) but use them at work. I'm waiting for the new widescreen I-Macs to hit the stores and then I'm ditching my PC at home.
    As for the I-Pod, it's more than just an MP3 player...it's a portable hard drive as well. When I connect it to the computer it appears a drive that you can drag and drop stuff onto.
    The I-Tunes software couldn't make loading the beast up with music easier. It rips and transfers pretty damn quickly. I had previously burned the entire black crowes studio catalog. It loaded into the I-Pod in roughly 20 seconds. Sound is phenomenal. I'm not loving the ear-buds that come with it, but using my Denon headphones at home is magic.
    Currently I have 10 CDs in there and still have about 9 gigs to fill...
    I know I've only had it for a day, but I would definitely reccommend checking them out [​IMG]