Suggestion of Best SACD player around $300

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel.Mok, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Daniel.Mok

Daniel.Mok Auditioning

Hi,
    I am new to the forum, and I try to look for a SACD player. I am willing to spend around $300 on a used player, any suggestion?

Thanks

2. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Someone else will be able to tell you if it's good & if it's a good deal or not. There is a two week old 222ES on Audiogon for $350 shipped.

3. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

You can get a new 222ES from oade brothers or JR music for around $350 shipped.

4. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Got my 222ES shipped to me from J&R for 325.00 total![​IMG]

5. Daniel.Mok

Daniel.Mok Auditioning

I had check that CD player too, but it is hard to find a used 222es in market and willing to ship to Toronto, Canada. Any place i can get it cheap?

6. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Daniel according to J&R's site they ship to Canada.

7. Daniel.Mok

Daniel.Mok Auditioning

I can not find 222ES in J&R?!?! can someone give me the address?

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Daniel, J&R's web address is www.jandr.com , however, they may not show the 'C222ES on the web site. They certainly will not list the discounted price on the web site, as Sony does not allow authorized dealers to publish discounted prices. You have to call for he discounted price. J&R's phone number is 1-800-221-8180.

The 'C222ES is your best bet in your price range. It's a very good player for the money.

9. Daniel.Mok

Daniel.Mok Auditioning

How about Music Hall CD25 or NAD C541i, even Phillips 963sa? however, I just the player to listen music, not for DVD. Any suggestion?

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Daniel, of course the Music Hall and NAD players do not play SACDs. They are well-regarded CD players in their price range, however. I don't know how they compare to the 'C222ES with CDs, as I have never done the comparison. The '963SA has been getting high praise in all areas. It upsamples CDs to 24/192, so it is worth an audition in my book.

11. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Daniel,

If you order a 222ES from J&R or Oade Bros. for the same $360US I paid (includes shipping to Toronto), you will end up paying about $715CDN, after all taxes and UPS customs brokerage fee. This may be over your budget, but I thought I'd let you know.

That being said, I feel the 222ES is worth every penny of that $715 (or $620 "before PST & GST" equivallent, if you prefer) because it is well built, sounds better than many other CD players in its price range, and has SACD capability.

If you can still find one in Canada, the 222ES retails for $1099CDN BEFORE taxes at the Sony Store - IMO way too much for this player, even if the US source were not available.

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I have a DVP-NS500V player that I got for $112 as a floor model from Best Buy. It is a combination SACD and DVD player. The replacement model (I can't remember the number) has progressive scan. I have been very happy with its performance on SACD material. You can probably get in well under your budget with a new warrantee and money to spare with this model.

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

For the record, the replacement model for the Sony DVP-NS500V is the DVP-NS755V.

14. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Thank you Keith.

If you're a stickler for "build quality" and impressive appearance then you may not be happy with the lightweight DVP-NS755V. Let me tell you it does not impress when compared to my Technics DVD-A10. However, for sound quality, it's just as good to my ears (assuming of course that I'm playing a SACD).

15. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Considering their low prices, the Sony DVD/SACD players are amazing performers, even with regular redbook CDs. I have the Sony DVP-NS500V, and while I am sure there are better performing machines out there, it's a great entry model for SACD playback. While I don't think the Sony DVP-NS500V is available anymore, my local Best Buy has the DVP-NS500V's 5-disc changer cousin (don't remember the model number though) at below $200.00.

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Philip,

No problem.

Danny said:

17. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Thanks for the assist, Keith! [​IMG]

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Danny, no problem. [​IMG]

19. Daniel.Mok

Daniel.Mok Auditioning

How about Philips 963SA, is it a good choice for audio use? Since I can get it at J&R with a really good price =>$399, which is almost same as C222ES and Philips 963SA can play DVD too.

20. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Daniel, I don't know how the '963SA compares to the 'C222ES with CDs and SACDs, but the '963SA has gotten some good reviews here. It's a new player, so there haven't been too many reviews. It seems to be a very solid player with both audio and video. The '963SA upsamples CDs to 24/192, which is great to see in a $500 (MSRP) player.