Suggestion for Paramount regarding ST Nemesis CE.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by [email protected], Jul 12, 2005.

1. Frank@N

[email protected] Screenwriter

In order to stimulate sales of ST Nemesis CE due 10/4, I would suggest that Paramount include a mail-in coupon for the 'Star Trek: Motion Pictures Collection' box designed to hold all 10 of the ST CEs.

You can see some artwork for the box design over at the Bits today.

This would give folks a larger reason to buy Nemesis CE and might encourage some to mail-in for the box and then pick up any missing CEs later.

Sounds like a win / win to me.

2. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Too bad I passed on getting Star Trek 9:CE. I'll do the same for this one too. A free cardboard box isn't enough incentive for me to get the last 2 films on DVD [​IMG]

3. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

A full or near full original cut of the movie would make me buy it. Otherwise, forget it. I only bought the first DVD release because it was previously viewed and $9.99 Canadian.

4. Frank@N

I double-dipped on First Contact and Insurrection even though the original transfers were pretty good.

That's unusual for me, but the extras tipped the scale and I have all the other CEs.

As for Nemesis, I'm in a quandary.

I had no problems with the first disc at all...except I didn't like the movie.

Unless Paramount has a box offer, I can't see why I would upgrade Nemesis.

5. Patrick H.

Patrick H. Second Unit

The spiffiest cardboard box on earth couldn't persuade me to buy Star Treks 5, 7, 9, & 10. Still, a good suggestion.

6. Bob-R

Bob-R Agent

Please, don't turn this into a Star Trek Nemesis bashing thread, we've heard it all before, don't need a rehash. A lot of people, like myself, love Nemesis, and a lot of people do not like it, that also applies to every single film ever made (people hate/people like). The suggestion is valid, but if this conversation spiral continues, I see this thread closing, quickly.

7. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

I suggest instead of some cardboard to stimulate sales that they reinsert the deleted scenes and make an extended cut.

8. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

How about throwing in that missing Generations trailer as an easter egg? It's gonna be the only ST film without the trailer.

Yeah, I'm still pissed!

9. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Agreed. I was really expecting an extended cut of the film on the CE, given all the mention of the deleted scenes for this film from the director and others in various articles. So it surprises me that they are just doing the theatrical version again. I would have definitely bought the DVD for an extended cut, and I'm sure many others feel the same. Paramount would have easily doubled sales with an extended cut.

10. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

I have a suggestion: perhaps they could put the discs in the case without scratching them, or getting finger prints/scuff marks all over them...

Tried two Insurrections and still haven't found a clean one...

Just a thought...

John

11. Frank@N

Off topic, but Paramount does seem to be having quality control problems with their discs lately.

A high percentage of my 'Voyager' discs (1-2 per season) are scuffed new out of the box.

Problem seems to be getting worse as later seasons seem to be more affected.

Someone who's buying 'Enterprise' might also be able to comment as well.

12. RogerH

RogerH Supporting Actor

Hmmm... I haven't noticed any scuffs but one of my MacGyver discs was a bit discolored but played fine.

13. Rocky F

Rocky F Second Unit

I've said in other thread that an extended cut would be the only thing that would make me buy this set. I did enjoy Nemesis, but I feel that the current DVD is good enough for me. As far as the previous sets go, I am not buying 5, and haven't yet got Insurrection, and I probably will not, unless I just see a deal I can't pass up.

14. Edward Schatz

Edward Schatz Second Unit

I have not bought Nemesis nor The Final Frontier as my painfully useless protest of improved edits of these films. Not that Final Frontier could be salvaged as a movie, but to have it 'cleaned up' would have enticed a purchase. Nemesis I do not like, but I will turn it into a bash thread. It seems we already have one sensitive user. That being said, an extended cut of Nemesis would be nice. I do not know whether or not an 'extended' cut would qualify as 'director's cut' or if the theatrical cut is the 'director's cut.' A lot of this is semantics. Peter Jackson claims the theatrical cuts of Lord of the Rings are his 'director's cuts.' whatever.

15. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I agree.

PARAMOUNT - STOP THE PRESSES !!!!!

Even if you have to push back the release, give us an extended version of NEMESIS, and hopefully improve the movie.

16. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

I've stopped buying Paramount titles (or at least cut back dramatically) for this very reason. I'd love to buy Enterprise but no chance.

As I said, I can't even get two clean discs in my Insurrection set. Fingers crossed for Nemesis and then I'm out.

John

17. Patrick H.

Patrick H. Second Unit

No scuffed discs that I've found, but my CE of 'First Contact' was totally covered in fingerprints right out of the box. They wiped off easily enough, but it was pretty off-putting.

18. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

All of my discs have been mint, except for Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country...it had several scratches right out of the box.

19. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

Off topic (apologies) -

I've yet to find a DVD that can be wiped leaving the disc in absolutely pristine condition (unlike a CD). Wiping fingerprints etc normally leaves the disc in an even more scratched condition.

If you know a trick please let me know!

Thanks,

John

20. MichaelColvin

MichaelColvin Stunt Coordinator

I would love to be able to buy a box for all the SCE's I've bought. Is there any updates to this idea?

- cheers, Michael