Suggestion for Online DVD Retailers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by William Waits, Jul 14, 2002.

1. William Waits

William Waits Stunt Coordinator

Apr 25, 2002
    I would like to suggest to Online DVD Retailers (or at least the ones with substantial inventory such as,, DeepDiscountDVD,, etc...) that they find a way to incorporate the use of on-the-packaging coupons put on DVD's by Studios to be used by the consumer.

Disney is the biggest use of these, although I have seen them used to a lesser degree by other studios such as Dreamworks, Fox, and Warner Brothers. Get $4 off when you purchase Title x Plus Title Y.

Obviously, they would need to sign up for coupon redemption, but for the likes of,, or anyone else also with a B&M storefront, that shouldn't be too awfully hard, as most are already signed up.

The only other thing that they would need to take note of is the actual coupon expiration - just a mere database entry.

They could list it as a separate line item [MFG Discount - $4.00] and even use it as a tool for suggesting additional titles.

This would severely increase the perceived "value" of ordering online, and the online company would still get their money from the participating studio.

It just really causes a downer when I open my DVD purchases received in the mail and to see that two of them qualified for an additional discount via a manufacturer's coupon, and the coupon is stuck right there on both titles. Since 95% of my purchases are made via online, and of those, 98% are pre-orders, this would mean a very big deal.

Whatever online retailer impliments this - it shouldn't be too hard other than the coupon redemption signup which I am unfamiliar with - could really use this as an effective marketing tool.

Any online DVD retailer want to step up to the plate?

2. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Mar 12, 2002
    Andy Budgell
    I think that is a great suggestion, Bill! Are ya' reading this, Amazon?

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Mar 8, 2001

Don Peskin Stunt Coordinator

Dec 31, 2000
    I Had a coupon from Disney for a discount. I went INTO Best Buy and they would not accept it. They said the only take their own coupons. If B&M stores won't accept them it is not very likely online stores will.
    (I was finally able to use it at Toys R Us)