What's new

Suggestion For Newbie (1 Viewer)

mjr

Agent
Real Name
michael
I've posted here a couple of times but need some more direction. I purchased a 42 inch Westinghouse HD LCD Monitor and I haven't been too pleased with it. I am interested in purchasing an HDTV but my budget is pretty tight- around $1700 max. Are Sony "S" series worth the price tag? Is there an HDTV out there that I'll get a decent picture from for a relatively affordable price? The Westinghouse does have the 1080p resolution but I'll give up some of that resolution if it means being happier all around with the tv. ie better color settings etc. I thank you for your suggestions and time!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I think Samsung and Vizio provide a nice monitor for the money. And in my opinion, Sony tends to be on the expensive side.

But when it comes right down to it, since it's picture you're asking about, you really have to decide what you like. Other people can help with features and reliability and such; but like speaker sound, the picture is subjective - you may like something warmed or grittier than I do, and neither is wrong. (Well, people will debate image accuracy; but I ignore such things - if you like it, it's good!)

bassman99floyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jimmy
If you can't afford the Sony Bravia XBR2 SERIES TV, second choice is the Sharp Aquos TV. I have the 52" as my HT TV, and the picture is vibrant and beautiful. Where it really impressed me, is if the scene had a street light, the light would glow so realistically, that it appeared to illuminate the ground, in front of the TV. This TV has a piano black finish, that looks awesome, when the TV is off.

Definitely shop the internet for this TV. I've had great luck with the shopping engine at Yahoo.com

joseph westcott

Second Unit
Sony is expensive and they make a great display. I have a growing concern over their quality lately though so I have really turned more towards the Panasonics or Pioneers. They both have their strengths and weaknesses but both offer great performance for the price.

If you have the room, front projection is the best bang for the buck and can provide a true movie theater experience for a lot less, inch for inch.

Greg Gable

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
CC has the Panny 50" plasma on sale for 1500 bucks. It is the same one I have and paid a lot more for. Very good PQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks