What's new

Suggestion for Great Speaker System Under $800 (1 Viewer)

Jay_R

Auditioning
I am officially overwhelmed and need help finding a great speaker system for $800 or less including a sub.

I am going to use the system for both movies and music. Another factor is the room which is 12' x 24' x 8'H. I also need something that isn't real big.

I have heard great things about Energy's Take 5.2, but I am wondering if this will work given the room size. Could the larger 10" subwoofer help fill out the sound on these smaller speakers?

Are there other systems that I should be looking at?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
That's a pretty good sized room. To get reasonable acoustic coupling in the space you might want something a little larger than a mini-monitor.

Get a 12" sub.

What's the reason for small speakers. SAF?

Are you talking $800 for 2 or 5 speakers?

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Although I have not heard them myself, the Home Theater Direct Level 3 Combo X goes for $749 and others seem to think highly of them. http://www.hometheaterdirect.com
You might try doing a search for them on the forum for more info.
I have a Definitive Technology ProCinema 100 system and absolutely love them. However the 100s are somewhat over your stated budget. With speaker stands I paid about $1200. They do have a ProCinema 80 system that is a little cheaper. If not too pricey, give these a listen at your local dealer.
Good luck with your system.
-Keith

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
The following is what I am currently using and I couldn't be happier with my set up
Boston CR9's($300)Main's
Boston CRC($200)Center
Sony SA-WM40($200)Sub

Jay_R

Auditioning
Yes...I only want to spend $800 total on 4 sats, 1 center and a sub. So is the feeling that a smaller system can fill a 12' x 24' room if paired with a bigger sub?

I am not totally hung up on a smaller system, but the Take 5.2 got great reviews. It seems that many other systems I look at have 4" mids compared to the Take's 3.5". Does a 1/2" make that much difference, or do I have to be concerned with any smaller speakers in a room this size.

Bare with me I am a newbie, but trying to learn.

Jay

Scott McKee

Auditioning
Jay -

I'm running the Take 5.2 satellites with a Velodyne CT-120 sub in a room roughly the same size (13'x20'x9') and am very happy with the sound. The Energy's are great little speakers for the money, and they seem to work well with the CT-120.

Unfortunately, this combo would probably be a little over your budget...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks