What's new

Suggestion for DVD release: No Time for Seargents (1 Viewer)

BryanV

Stunt Coordinator
From a book to Tony nominated play to one of my favorite films, No Time for Sergeants needs a DVD release. Any one who is a fan of the Andy Griffith show should see this film gem of the late 50's(actually, even if you don't like the Andy Griffith show you should still see it). If you are familiar at all with Andy's early comic routines that were seen on variety shows then you will be familiar with this character. Andy plays Will Stockdale who is dragged off his "Tobacco Road" country shack and into the US Army. Will develops a "Mice and Men" relationship with another private and they begin to cause all kinds of problems for their Sergent. It is fairly obvious that this story was the inspiration for Gomer Pyle USMC so if you like that show this one is for you too. One thing that makes this really enjoyable is how Andy breaks the fourth wall a lot and conversates with the audience, really gives the movie a more stage like feel. This play is where I believe Don Knotts and Andy met and Don has a scene stealing part in the picture that has to be one of his funniest bits.

Back when AMC was good they showed a teleplay version of this that would make an awesome extra. It would be great to get some interviews on this as well for, at least, a short feature.

I guess I can not guarantee financial returns on this but, you got one buyer.

(i have the VHS copy)

thnx everyone for reading.

FrankXS

Second Unit
Great film. No Time For Sergeants was well received in the 1950's. I understand Andy Griffith's A Face in the Crowd is supposed to come out soon from Warner. If it sells well, maybe "Sergeants" will follow. Warner has so many great titles that it will keep them busy for years, but having George Feltenstein at the anchor can almost guarantee that any worthwhile title will get to DVD.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
I've been screaming about this one for years...it's hilarious all the way through. Until the DVD comes out, I'll treasure my VHS copy.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I would pick this up in a heartbeat, please include the original television broadcast version as a bonus!

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
I remember when Will Stockdale (Andy Griffith) had to fill out a form, with the shouted instructions, "Last name first, first name, middle name last," and he followed it literally, writing:

Stockdale Will Will [middle (I forgot it)] Stockdale

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks