Suggestion For Alien Quad Replacement Packaging

Discussion in 'DVD' started by William Waits, Feb 22, 2004.

1. William Waits

William Waits Stunt Coordinator

I know that it may not have gotten the big headlines, but I would be willing to suspect that it is almost a consensus that the packaging for the Region 1 Alien Quadrilogy is less than enthusiastically received.

However, with the upcoming release in Japan, and their ultra-cool Alien head case, they are also releasing the Alien Quadrilogy in standard cases the same size as Region 1, but in more of a book fashion rather than the abysmal and poorly thought-out 6 foot rollout.

Could someone in the know goad, or could Fox respond directly, to allow users of Region 1 to someone obtain the better packaging? Maybe even for a small shipping fee.... I'd bite!

C'mon Fox, what do you say?

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Pffft... a couple of years ago I recall them replacing a number of X-Files cases that had bad glue.

3. Jamie Cole

Jamie Cole Stunt Coordinator

I have little doubt, given Fox is a friend of this forum, that a little noise could get something done on this, especially if they're changing the packaging for other regions.

My quad case has completely come apart in less than two months and I've barely handled it. Most of the trays have dropped off the cardboard backing.

4. Ryan Frederick

My Quad case is falling apart as well. I've probably opened it

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

It's a piece of ----. Kind of cool at the start, but a real nightmare if you open it a lot.

I agree Fox should have thought this packaging through better.

Dan

6. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

What does that have to do with piracy? If you are sending in your existing case to get it replaced, then you could only get one case in return.

(I'm sure the pirates probably use better cases, anyway.)

7. Paul Butler

Paul Butler Extra

Perhaps they would consider sending out new covers if the old one (or part thereof) was sent back to them first?

Edit - Jeff beat me to it!
    Paul

8. Scott Burke

Scott Burke Second Unit

Scott B.
    I just recieved my copy of this in the mail this past week, and this thread had gotten me worried. I hope they come up with some replacement policy on this.

9. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Why don't we just ask for them to recreate the Alien Head packaging for R1? I'm sure they would come up with a price point that's afforable to us and profitable to them.

10. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

You could probably use a stronger adhesive glue. Hope this helps. [​IMG]

11. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I've always hated that packaging, and so when I got the set I took the discs out and put them in a binder, and just leave the box gathering dust on the shelf, but I was definitely not surprised that this would be an issue. The only way this would've been worse if they used 9 snappers.

12. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

This si what is putting me off from buying the Quad set. I just don't like fold-out sets. I wish they did the Quad more like they did the Roswell and Lost IN Space sets with the thin snap cases. Also I hope FOX does come up with a way to get the ninth disc without buying the Quad set and be able to do it if you buy all four 2 disc sets (because i think I rather buy all four films in 2 disc sets instead, but I love all the extras listed for disc nine).

Be Seeing you,
    David Blackwell

13. Jeff>K>B

Jeff>K>B Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, like the glue they used to stick the "throwaway" bilingual info sheet on the back of the Canadian boxset (like Sebastien mentioned). So the inside of my case is falling apart while the outside is all glued up [​IMG]

Same thing happened with my X Men boxset, and LOTR:TTT; at least Universal promptly sent me a replacement box.

Has anyone seen that metal case for Alien Legacy at designpaulchampagne.com? It might hold all nine discs.

14. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

This is probably common knowledge (and knowing is half the battle) but four regular-width keepcases fit perfectly within the outer Quad box. What's that? There's four movies? Problem solved.

15. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Yeah Matt, but there are 9 discs [​IMG]

16. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

Pish tosh. [​IMG] I stuck my 9th disc in with the two Resurrection discs in a paper slipcase, as I don't exactly put in that 9th disc all that often (or the two Resurrection discs, for that matter....)

I have my Quad box right next to my Indiana Jones Box, and the two pairs of four keepcases look very nice next to each other.

17. Chris Rein

Chris Rein Stunt Coordinator

I'm going to buy 4 of the "regular size" DVD cases that have the hinged holder to hold two discs. I will then be using the inserts from the original box set and will place inside one of the two cases I have. The current package blows ass and I am tired of using my whole couch to open the damn thing. The glue is coming off now, so it's time to figure out something else.

And after all the praise this set got on the Digital Bits awards, I doubt jack or $hit is going to be done on getting a new case. Quadrilogy should have won best DVD set and Worst Case Design. It sucks.

18. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

I have to agree, that box is the most cumbersome thing of them all, and just about as tall as me (the box is about 6' tall, and I'm 6'4")!

For me, I've got 10 "Alien" DVDs, 9 of them the Quadrilogy set, and the 10th the original DVD release of "Alien" with the different Ridley Scott commentary, the complete Goldsmith score, and the different audio score. So five 2-disc cases would go well for me.

For that matter, let's see about importing the Alien head from Japan (without the discs!) and making it available for the fans here in the U.S. That is just way too perfect a case for this series!

19. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

Use probably supaa glue where the glue should go.