Suggestion: cheap 4 ohm home subwoofer amplifier

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by BenC_Cougar, Jan 22, 2004.

1. BenC_Cougar

BenC_Cougar Auditioning

I've got an MTX sub, and I was wondering if there was a cheap amp that I could get to run it. I could build another box and run a pair of SVC 4 ohm subs. I just want something cheap to hook up that puts out some good bass. Right now anything would be better than what I have. Even an equivalent Pyramid would work. Something around 100-200 wt. rms. at 4 ohms for a single sub, or 200-400 wt. rms. at 2 (or 8?) ohms for the pair of subs. I'm looking at $100 max.

Quality is not my big deal right now (that's for my car), since I cut the old 17 wt. max speaker off my run-of-the-mill 3-disk shelf stereo and hooked up my subwoofer. I've thought about getting an AC-DC converter and hook up my old 760 wt. Pioneer, but figured I'd blow something. If you know what most stereo shops use for their "show-floor model" power supply, and it's cheap enough, I might just get that.

Thanks!

[I'm also thinking about selling a car amp to a dj and see if I could just put credit toward it that way, if he's got an extra amp. I'd trade my Pioneer and 5-channel Blaupunkt straight up for that. Ya, I'm an ign'ant cheap ghetto-rigger, but that's what makes it interesting. [​IMG] I've seen it done the other way, too, on car forums, but this is more watts. [​IMG] ]

2. BenC_Cougar

BenC_Cougar Auditioning

TTT

3. Luitz

Luitz Stunt Coordinator

4. BenC_Cougar

BenC_Cougar Auditioning

Thanks a lot! [​IMG]

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

6. BenC_Cougar

BenC_Cougar Auditioning

Cool! Any more specs. or information on that last one? I could do that since it's only $5 for an extra 44 watts, and I may do the 300 if it's 100wt. for $25 more. Does that include shipping? What are the ohms on that? Oh, ya, that is RMS, right?

7. BenC_Cougar

BenC_Cougar Auditioning

Update: Searching and found this. Had to update. So, I bought what I believed to be an Apex Sr., no serial number or ID tag. Soon after hooked up an eD B212 and knocked someone's picture off the wall at the dorms and had several people yell at me, but I had fun. That sub is gone, and since I don't have a trunk now, I have a 10" Kicker L7 hooked up to it. I have a Pioneer VSX-23 receiver I bought through work, DefTech BP6 fronts, and ProCenter 2000 with a pair of Mirage Omni350s as my surrounds. Just a Samsung LNR409D as my TV and monitor. I would still love to get the Samsung PN50C8000 or Panasonic TCP50VT25 as my replacement, even though I have my computer hooked to my TV. The difficult part is hooking up my current equipment and getting 3D and 7.1 audio. I don't want to buy another receiver after paying $432 for this one. I still have to get a TV, but I'll have to wait until I get another job.