Suggestion: Add a "New HT Owners - Look Here"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob McElfresh, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Since you now have a "Sticky Thread" that always appears at the top of a fourm, I would like to propose we create a thread that tries to answer the most common hardware questions people have when they get their new HT receiver or DVD player. This is to help solve all the "..help me setup my new equipment" questions that will come after Dec 25.
    The Thread/FAQ should try to be quick answers without a lot of detail (as new users are often frightened of lots of text). I would propose the following items as frequently-asked:
    What size speaker wire?
    Optical or Digital Connection?
    How do I attach speaker wires to the funny connectors on the back of my receiver
    What are Banana plugs and do they help/hurt the sound?
    Why do I want to run video through my receiver?
    What is the best type of video connection?
    Why is the center volume too loud/soft
    My receiver volume is -38? Is this ok?
    How do I hook up my sub?
    Where is the best place to put my sub?
    What is a good setup/test DVD
    Rear Speakers: dipole/bipole/regular?
    And the biggie:
    How do I hook it all up
    I think most of the answers to these questions are non-controversial. I would be happy to make a first-pass at it if you would like.

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Bob:

If someone wants to write something up and post it I will be glad to make it a sticky thread or I could just create a hyperlink to another FAQ page with this information on it.

Parker