What's new

Suggested Test CDs? (1 Viewer)

bruin

Second Unit
To prepare for my AV1+ experience (with all the praise I've read and heard I have to call it an experience), I'd like to know which cd's you listen to, to test your speakers: full range tests, highs, mids, lows, the works.

Right now I use, the eagles dvd, norah jones, john mayer, moulin rouge, a paul van dyk cd, sting's dts cds, dave matthews, enya. I like the sounds of a guitar a lot, female vocals, deep, pounding bass, and synthesizer stuff...

I guess with this thread, I'd like to find out about other artists/albums that I haven't heard of and may want to consider.

Please list the strengths and weakness of the albums/tracks and why you enjoy listening to them.

A

Anthony_Gomez

While I enjoy norah jones, I do think it is an "ok" recording. moulin rouge is one of my favorite movies and CD's, but it is a mix: some good recordings and some poor ones. Not reference quality. I have Dave Mathews Crash, and that is a very good recording

besides my Audition mix CD (many different recordings..mainly Jazz with most of the reference vocal and instrumental pieces),here are the ones that I do like for references

1) DMB-Crash--Good all around CD
2) Blue Man Group--good recording, but not the best. Particularly good for imaging and bass.
3) LOTF:TTT--I am very fond of the songs that have the norwegian fiddle.
4) American Beauty: Original Score--some songs have a highish floor level, but the imaging and instrument recording purity is very good!
5) Black Hawk Down: Soundtrack--newish purchase. Very happy with the quality of the recording. Not mainstream, but some very cool stuff quality and imaging wise.
6) Vivaldi:The four seasons--...need to find out what recording I have, but the violin is very nice in it!
7) Danny Elfman: Music for a Darkened Theater (Sommersby Sountrack pieces)--not a well known movie, but I think this recording is really cool. There is a strange "folk" break in track 6 (*Finale/End Titles ) which is really nice for imaging!

these are my opinions though :)

Rob Formica

Stunt Coordinator
In general, my test disks will be quite a bit "heavier" but one of my favourites comes to mind, as it matches most of your description...

Massive Attack - Mezzanine - It's one of the better engineered CDs around featuring female vocals, deep well articulated pounding bass, great percussion, and synthesizer stuff...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jebsib
Recent bookmarks