What's new

Suggested settings for Samsung un50eh5000 (1 Viewer)

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
My brother just bought a Samsung un50eh5000 LED. He has asked me to tweak it for him. Usually I have been able to find suggested settings and calibrations online at sites like Tweakit. In fact there were several when I bought my Panasonic Plasma a few years ago. Does anyone know where I might find suggested settings for this Samsung?

Thanks.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Yeah I see what you mean, there isnt much but heres some meh suggestions...

http://www.televisioninfo.com/content/Samsung-UN40EH5000-LED-LCD-HDTV-Review/Calibration.htm

Its found in this thread so might want to read through the entire thread, users have posted their settings:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1635983-samsung-ue40eh5000-owners-thread.html

According to Cnet the 5000 and 6000 are very similar so their 6000 numbers might be a good starting point:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-565020/samsung-un46eh6000-picture-settings/?tag=StickyWin_1339096603800;createThreadPopup

Heres other recommended for the 6000:

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/samsung-lcd-tv/samsung-un55eh6000-picturesettings.html

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Jim*Tod said:
My brother just bought a Samsung un50eh5000 LED. He has asked me to tweak it for him. Usually I have been able to find suggested settings and calibrations online at sites like Tweakit. In fact there were several when I bought my Panasonic Plasma a few years ago. Does anyone know where I might find suggested settings for this Samsung?

Thanks.
IMO, you're going about this wrong. It's not a matter of finding someone else's "numbers" and plugging them into your display and expecting the same results.

Every set will calibrate differently depending on the environment you're in.

The only "settings" that translate from one set to another are any artificial image enhancements - they should all be "Off" or as minimal as allowed by the display. In some cases, your starting point should be a pre-set picture mode that by default disables most of these settings ("Cinema", "Custom", etc.).

Anything beyond that will be specific to your set and your viewing environment.

Consider getting a calibration disc like Spears & Munsil, Disney WOW, or Digital Video Essentials that includes actual test patterns that are needed for precise level calibration. If you don't want to do that, see if any DVDs or Blu-rays that you or your brother might already have that include the THX Optimizer (many Pixar films include this).

If you're looking to spend zero money on this, then at least read up on what a properly calibrated image should look like and experiment to find what works best for you or your brother. You really can't calibrate well "by eye" but, IMO, doing that will get you just about as good (if not better) than just blindly applying someone else's numbers.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
I agree with Jason. Recommended settings are a starting point at best. You get what you pay for and the test patterns will likely give you better results. I still try published settings, both my displays use published settings and Im amazed how happy Ive been with both. I might just be lucky, in my case neither display requires much beyond pre settings to be accurate.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Thanks for your feedback guys. I usually just use the settings as a starting point and I have used calibration discs in the past with good results. I do know what a properly calibrated set looks like.. mine certainly is. That said for my plasma, it was not until I did the recommended calibrations did the set even begin to reveal what it could do. I continue to tweak now and then, but overall have been happy with those settings.

I definitely avoid the pre-sets like cinema, sports, vivid, etc and am rather amazed at how appallingly set the tvs are in most retail outlets.

I am just trying to do something simple to improve my brother's new set. I am not a fan of LED but the room they have for tv is very bright and this cannot be changed, so plasma was not an option. They live 100 miles away and I have a limited amount of time when I am out their way to play with the tv. And realize too, these are people who are not remotely the decided videophiles we have here... almost anything I do is going to be an improvement.

Thanks again.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Plasma works in bright rooms.Many LED backlit LCDs have moved on to glass fronts.Anymore there is zero difference, glare wise, between LCD and plasma.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks