What's new

Suggested replacement for Panny CP72? (1 Viewer)

Lynn Madsen

Auditioning
Greetings to all you DVD player experts. I am in need of your advice regarding a potential replacement for my Panasonic CP-72 (5-disc) DVD player. A few months ago it became incapable of playing any DVD without serious skipping and freezing. I discovered that if I turned progressive output off, it could play most DVDs without problems. However, it has since become worse even with progressive output off (what's the use of progressive if I can't use it?). I think she be on her last legs.

I do not necessarily need a 5-disc replacement player. In fact, I would prefer a single disc player. I am connecting the player to my Sony XBR800 HD ready (34" CRT with 1080i native HD resolution) set. I bought it in November 2002 in the pre-HDMI days. It does have a DVI-HDCP connector; however, my LG LST-4200A HDTV receiver is connected to that input. I am likely limited to component for the DVD player unless I hook up my HDTV receiver via component and use the DVI for the DVD player. If the player I get has both connections, at least it's an option; this is not a requirement.

Having done a bit of research, the following players seem to have many favorable reviews:

Denon 1910
Harmon Kardon DVD-22
Zenith DVB-318 (upscales to 1080i??)
Toshiba SD-V592 (DVD/VCR combo - but highly rated by many)

I have visited the "Secrets of Home Theater and HiFi" DVD player review database and all but the HK 22 seem to have fairly good specs and reviews (although not as good with component output). The HK 22 is not mentioned there.

It appears the display device seems to make a difference with individual users between a positive and negative review in many cases. That's why I included the pertinent specs on my HDTV in case it makes a difference.

Your thoughts on the above DVD players or any others you could recommend for my setup would be very much appreciated. I am trying to stay under $250 street as, like many of you, I am waiting see what happens with Blu-ray and HD-DVD for the next major upgrade.

Lynn Madsen

Auditioning
OK, looks like I'm on my own here :frowning: I guess I'll make a trip to the local CC and BB and just start "buying and trying."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks