What's new

Suggested radius for front stage? (1 Viewer)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Hey All

I'm mapping out dimensions for the front stage of my theater. The rectangular portion of the stage sits between two jogs on either side of the screen (pictured) and measures 116" wide by 12" deep.

I'm struggling with how deep of a curve I should make for the front section. Is there a suggested ratio based on the width of the main section? I don't want it to be too "flat" nor too peaked.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
Hi Jay: Looks like you've got the makings of an awesome HT! My stage is 4' deep x 12' wide. The "step" in front goes to 1' in the middle. I decided to trim the edges of the stage & put carpet inside the trim. The "step" is 4" below the stage. We just "winged" it. All in all I'm happy with the dimensions.

I've also seen some nice stages where the arc goes the entire width of the stage.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
That's pretty much how mine will be. The total width of the room pictured above is 196". The jogs that set out the screen area are each 40" wide and 12" deep and so define the space for the stage. The rectangular section will sit between the jogs and the arc will start at the corner of one jog and end at the other.

After all that I realized I comp'd an image a while back to show my wife:

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
It's a good question, Jay. Your diagram looks pretty good as it is.

However, how far does your overhang stick out above your screen area? I was wondering if you matched that distance (if it's not too far out) if it would give it a little vertical symmetry.

Nice job so far, BTW.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member

It's funny you mention that as I was thinking the very same thing! The bulkhead is 40" from the wall all around the room. That's unforunately deeper than I had originally hoped but it's a function of duct work along the left side that had nowhere else to go. :frowning: I had toyed with the idea of extending the peak of the stage to the same depth but to my eye it looked a bit much. Looking at a to-scale drawing of my original plan for a 9" peak (measured from the stage rectangle) was too flat. I think I may settle on an 18" peak as it seems to be a good balance. It also offers some symmetry with the bulkhead above as it splits the difference vs. the 12" jogs.

Another question I have is stage height - any thoughts there? I was thinking 6-8". The info I've seen online hasn't seemed to focus on that so much as construction details. Presumably I will need to factor in the height of the center channel (which will be below the screen on a speaker stand) and the height of the screen off the floor. Again a fine line between too short with minimal impact vs. too tall and bulky and possibly compromising performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks