Suggest theater system for COLLEGE DORM

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BlakeS, Aug 16, 2002.

1. BlakeS

BlakeS Extra

Hi,
    I've been looking online for a good system for a good price range but have come up with nothing yet. I'm looking for a system with 4 speakers, 1 center, 1 sub, and a receiver. Can anyone please suggest a good system to get for UNDER $500. If it goes a little over $500 then that is OK. I realize because of the price it won't be equal to a $3,000 system, but please suggest the best system for my price range. Thanks.

2. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Stunt Coordinator

Kenwood HTB 505.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Any chance you can build the speaker enclosure youself? You could get a pretty nice system for a little over $500 that way.

If not I'd look at a JBL NSP1 5 speaker package from jandr.com. That will be $250 with free shipping.

Then get a Sony WM12 sub or a Parts Express DLS 10" ($100-$200)

Then get the best Onkyo/Denon/Yamah/Harmon Kardon receiver you can afford after what you've spent already (~$300).

This will take you one or two hundred over your budget but it will be well worth it over a home theater in a box setup.

4. BlakeS

BlakeS Extra

5. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Stunt Coordinator

I recently set up a buddy with the new Panasonic HE70. Very nice unit for the money ($200). He got the JBL-NSP1 to go with the reciever and will probably get the Sony sub.

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I'd spend the extra money on a Yamaha or HK receiver over a Panasonic one. Big upgrade in quality of amp section.

As for the Onkyo HTIB you linked to that looks very similar in quality to the Kenwood 504 HTIB.