What's new

Suggest some titles for the annual Halloween Horrorthon! (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I wrote off 30 DAYS OF NIGHT too when it came out. And, yes, all the reviews were pretty lackluster. I didn't get interested in it until it was time for it to come out on DVD and I started seeing clips of it on TV. I figure, 'oh, what the hell, I've got the money.' I was actually blown away by this one. It is really quite good. Of course, it all hinges on how sick you are of vampire movies at the moment.

I have never really been a Romero fan, nor a zombie one, so skipping his latest endeavors is a no brainer.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Well, I tend to get more bold on Scarecrow's two-for-one rental nights, and I have a whole bunch of free punches saved up from buying all those Roger Corman flicks, so I'll probably give 30 Days a spin. At the very least I'm always down for some neck biting vamp action (of the non-sparkle kind) and I'll borrowed a friends copy of the first Saw - so I'm good to go for the next couple of days, I think..

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I know this flick was mentioned before, but I'm gonna expound on it some here.

Now, when I saw this last Halloween, I was a bit disappointed by it. But, here I am, a year later recommending it to someone. Why? Simply because it's one of those flicks that grows on you. It's an anthology tale, but all of them are linked by the creepy pumpkinheaded kid on the cover. Unfortunately, all of them aren't anything you haven't seen before. Their little twist endings really didn't impress me, except for, maybe, Anna Paquin's segment. Actually, the undead kids segment is really quite creepy, mostly due to the location. It's a flick that won't blow you away, but it ain't garbage either. Not by any means.

What this flick really has going for it is the ever present Halloween vibe that's laced through out the movie. It's one of the best, I think. The original NIGHT OF THE DEMONS comes in a close second. I love Halloween, and I loved seeing it portrayed so lovingly in this film. If you see it for nothing else, see it for that alone.

And, the blu-ray version has got a lot more extras on it. I hate when studios do that.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Have ya checked out THE BURROWERS yet?

CRITTERS 3 is pretty much the only one I was a bit let down by. Not by too much, mind you, it's got a nice early 90s vibe to it that I like. Those kind of movies always brings me back to happier times.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
God, I can't believe I didn't recommend THE MIST!

Yes, two insane thumbs up on that one!

That scene you got posted up there . . . I liked that guy, hated to see him get "mistified," too.

That ending was so out of left field, wasn't it? And, about as downbeat as you can get, but what was even worse was what happened to Thomas Jane moments after that, after he steps out of the car.

Oh, man . . .

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by SWFF

Have ya checked out THE BURROWERS yet?

Not yet, I'm stopping on the way home to grab it from the video store. I'll probably put it on for tonight.

Well, watched Saw last night - shockingly, I was really impressed with it. It was nice to see a horror flick that embraced it's nasty nature, kind of like how the original Texas Chainsaw did years ago. It was a really brutal mindfuck of a movie. Great ending, too - I was pleased to finally get around to watching it.

So I imagine that like most series, Saw 2 - 7 (or whatever they're up too now) is a case of diminishing returns? Or are there a couple of good ones in the mix somewhere?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Tony J Case

Well, watched Saw last night - shockingly, I was really impressed with it. It was nice to see a horror flick that embraced it's nasty nature, kind of like how the original Texas Chainsaw did years ago. It was a really brutal mindfuck of a movie. Great ending, too - I was pleased to finally get around to watching it.

So I imagine that like most series, Saw 2 - 7 (or whatever they're up too now) is a case of diminishing returns? Or are there a couple of good ones in the mix somewhere?

I'm in the minority but I think Saw II is better than the original and Saw III is pretty good but they both get more overtly violent than the original. Unless you absolutely love parts II and III, you should probably stop at the third one (although Saw VI was pretty cool).

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Can't comment on the SAW flicks, never saw any of them. No desire to. Those type of flicks don't peak my interest in any way, shape or form. Now, had there been a "monster" of some kind in it, other than the human one, I might've given it a try.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
I absolutely loathe Saw 2 & 3. 4-6 have been decent, 4 in particular has a pretty compelling backstory to Jigsaw. All of the sequels have a different feel than the original which still remains the best in my opinion.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Well, my roommate has all the saw flicks, so I might watch the second one at least. I don't want to dominate the whole month with just one series, so I probably wont watch more than just the first three - but I can get them at my leisure after-wards.

So I picked up The Burrowers and Trick R Treat at the video store yesterday - but I didn't actually get around to watching them. Oh, come on - I also got the Slumber Party Massacre set at the same time. How could I possibly pass up Roger Corman goodness? But now that I have that out of my system, I'll probably watch one or the other later tonight.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry

God, I can't believe I didn't recommend THE MIST!

Yes, two insane thumbs up on that one!

That scene you got posted up there . . . I liked that guy, hated to see him get "mistified," too.

That ending was so out of left field, wasn't it? And, about as downbeat as you can get, but what was even worse was what happened to Thomas Jane moments after that, after he steps out of the car.

Oh, man . . .

Yes. It sure was an unexpected ending. A good thing... they could have done the expected and it would have been..."well, okay...good movie" but you get "holy toledo!" instead. haha!

That tough biker dude was cool in his moments too...

I've liked all the SAW flicks that I've seen... up to III. Wanted to get a few more...but decided to pass this time.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Okay, so I powered through both the Burrowers and Trick r Treat tonight - I really loved them both. I though the Burrowers was a great take on a genre that doesnt see lots of horror, had a good cast and some great monsters - I loved that that they were mostly practical effects and puppets. CGI can ruin a good monster flick!

However the winner of the pair? I *LOVED* Trick r Treat! Seriously, that thing is going in my annual rotation from now on. beautiful cinematography, great effects, and sure the story(s) are kind of twilight-zoneish, but the script is filled with some great moments, loads of dark humor and is really, really clever. Why this never got a wide release while shit like those dreadful Halloween remakes keep getting shoved in our face is criminal!

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Be sure to check out FEAST and DOG SOLDIERS, two monster flicks that use nothing but practical effects. IMO, Dog Soldiers is the best Werewolf movie of the last 10 years.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis

Be sure to check out FEAST and DOG SOLDIERS, two monster flicks that use nothing but practical effects. IMO, Dog Soldiers is the best Werewolf movie of the last 10 years.

Jesus, don't get me started on these two flicks. I just might have to make a post expounding on their horrific joys, too.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Originally Posted by MLamarre

Dog Soldiers is great. I keep meaning to pick up Feast. I remember that being in the WM bin...going back to get one and couldn't find it anymore.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Did ya notice? No CGI whatsoever! Someone oughtta give the film an award just for that alone!

Yeah, I did notice - well after the fact, when I was discussing it with some friends. A brilliant move on their part - I do so hate the crap computer effects these day. Also, apparently there's another one in the works - slated for next year sometime. That would be cool, I could see a bi-annual anthology, kind of what Halloween III was meant to be before the wheels fell off the idea.

On another note - Anyone know anything about either Dead Air or ZA: Zombies Anonymous (aka Last Rites of the Dead). I stumbled upon them was browsing Wikipedia and their premises sound interesting (A radio station under Zombie siege and Zombies demanding civil rights, respectively) but I know nothing about either.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Quote:

Also, apparently there's another one in the works - slated for next year sometime. That would be cool, I could see a bi-annual anthology, kind of what Halloween III was meant to be before the wheels fell off the idea.

Holy shit! You mean a sequel to TRICK 'R' TREAT?! Oh, fuck . . . that is sweet news! Original director involved? Need to know everything here. I think this all hinges on the creative team they get. If it's done using that same Halloween vibe, then I'm all over this flick like stink on a monkey!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now, I must expound on the this crazy ass flick below. FEAST has more "Oh, shit," moments in it then I can shake a stick at. And, because of that I can't discuss the movie in too much detail. Not even to give one of those moments away. The creatures (origins never explained, which is good) are all practical man-in-a-suit effects. I will say they appear to look one way through most of the flick, then a reveal at the end shows you what they really look like. Very effective. Oh, and one of the creatures pops this poor guy's head like it was a zit, too be fair, he was slowly rotting. Goriest scene in the whole flick, if you ask me. Seek this one out, Tony. They did make two sequels, but I have never seen them, because all the reviews I read indicated both of them sucked. In those sequels the monsters' origins were revealed to be alien.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks