Suggest some quality pre-amp’s with excellent Bass Mgnt features for <$700

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by John Pine, Mar 23, 2005.

1. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    I am a separates newbie, and I’ve never bought a pre-amp. Guess I should do some reading on the subject. I’d like to have an adjustable crossover option for the mains, center and rears. Besides bass mgnt, what features or numbers should I be looking for? I was considering a Parasound, but really only because I have a Parasound amp which I like. My setup is used mostly for Hi-Res & DVD Audio. Any suggestions?

My 5.1 setup:

Toshiba 35"
    harman/kardon AVR 525 (preamp)
    Parasound HCA-2003 (mains & center)
    harman/kardon PA 2000 (rears)
    Denon DVD-2900
    JBL S310-II's
    JBL S-Center II
    JBL S36-II's
    SVS PC-Ultra
    All Better Cable interconnects,
    Panamax MAX 4300
    18'x 23'x14' vaulted ceiling (LxWxH)

2. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Unless you are buying used, the only option you have for that price is the Outlaw 950 from outlawaudio.com

av123.com has a new pre/pro coming out called the Emotiva UL. I don't know if it'll have that kind of bass management though.
    Maybe a receiver with pre-outs as an option?

3. John Pine

John Pine
    Chris: Thanks for the feedback. I did some checking up on the 950. Appears to be an excellent unit with better than average bass mgnt. But, I would hesitate to buy a preamp that's already been on the market for over 3 years. Wonder when the replacement is coming out.

4. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

I think it was a good pre-amp when it came out, but it is long in the tooth now. When they announced that piece they also said they were working on a big brother to it. Well that was way over a couple of years ago and nothing.
    I have read that they are working on the replacement which I doubt would be in that price bracket, but they did not say when. If you stretch your budget to @ $1500 you could pick up the Rotel 1068. It has the features your looking for.

Here is an interesting link you might wanna read re: multiple crossovers for bass mngmt.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...rs-9-2002.html

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I beleive there's a $50 bass management upgrade available for the Emotive UltraLite. I would email the guys at AV123 and find out. When it was first announced the emotiva was only going to offer PLII instead of PLIIx, but if you sent it in they would upgrade it to PLIIx and add the extra bass management for like $50. Now they are saying they will ship with PLIIx (as they should) but the bass management upgrade will still be an extra.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

6. John Pine

John Pine
    Chris: Thanks for the link, printing it now. $1500 is too rich for my blood!

Stephen: Any idea when these units will ship?