Suggest some kid games for X-Box

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle Richardson, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

I have a 4 and 7 year old that are going to get an X-Box for Christmas (okay, okay it was for me but they will never know [​IMG] ) and I would like some suggestions for games they might enjoy. I have already picked up Shrek but wanted to get some opinions on others.

2. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Go for Oddworld my friend. A very fun game with excellent graphics and some good puzzle solving.(some of the puzzles may be to advanced for kids to figure out though) Its got quite a bit of humor in it (farts and berps[​IMG]) and I think a child will enjoy it (of course adults will enjoy it even more!)

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

This is one of the X-Boxes true lags. It was not made to be aimed at kids, so it has no games for them. Even Oddworld is not for kids. Anyone below the age of 12 will probably care less about it and not get it. Its just not made for that demographic.

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Yea, I agree with Morgan. As things stand right now there are no "kid games" for Xbox. I see no games on the horizon that appear very kid friendly either.
    That's a good thing though. Now you can add a Gamecube to your collection. [​IMG]

5. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

What about Cel Damage? It looks pretty tame. As alwasy read some reviews because looks can be deceiving.

-Andre F

6. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

Shrek and Mad Dash Racing should fit the bill...

They might also enjoy Amped and Transworld Surf, but those might be a little advanced.

Definitely *not* Oddworld. While the content might keep them entertained (light profanity and the occassional fart joke), the game is very difficult.

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Yes, I think it is more childish than any other X-box games, but thats only one game. You might as well get a GameCube and buy Cel Damage for that.

8. Jay_Sharp

Jay_Sharp Stunt Coordinator

Definetly Shrek and Cel Damage.

Oddworld (which I just beat...a wonderful game BTW, highly recommended) would be over the heads of most kids up till about 12.

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I read several reviews that Shrek sucked. Might as well spend your money on something else.

10. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Yes, Shrek does suck.
    Morgan, I've agreed with you twice in one thread! [​IMG]

11. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Would a 4 and a 7 year old think Shrek sucked?

12. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary

13. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Mad Dash Racing and Fusion Frenzy might be of some interest.

I also doubt that Oddworld would appeal to a young audience. I haven't played Munch, but what Oddworld I have played is fairly complex and you would probably spend more time helping them than anything if they were to play it.

14. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

15. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Most professional websites that know what they're doing try to assign people who like a genre, like FPS games, to games in that genre.

For instance, RPG fans don't review Halo.

So what I'm saying is that the people who would like Shrek said it sucked.

16. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Yeah, Shrek didn't get great reviews, but I think that a 7 and a 4 year old would probably get a kick out of it. Definitely worth a rental to see.

When my nephew was seven, he absoltely loved snowboarding games, and the Xbox has a few of those (Amped, SSX:Tricky, and Dark Summit, although the latter doesn't sound as kid-friendly).

Mad Dash Racing seems pretty goofy if your kids like Kart-style racing games. Fusion Frenzy is a party game, which may go over well with your children if they have friends over to play with them. I don't know about Cel Damage...yes, it's a cartoon, but a pretty darn violent one from the looks of it. Cartoon violence, yes, but you're still smacking players with giant baseball bats and whacking them with axes.

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I still say the GameCube is a better choice. The X-Box games everyone has listed either are bad games or are not made for children or to be children friendly. Cel Damage was listed because of its graphical style, but would that make Conker's Bad Fur Day a children's game? I think not.

The game content is the thing that determines whether it will be good for kids, not the graphics. I strongly suggest that you either wait a long time for child friendly games (that aren't sports games or racing games with child-friendly graphics) or just go for a GameCube.

18. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Morgan, re-read original message. He wants a kids game or two for his X-Box. He's not asking what system to buy. He even says the system is for him and he just wants a couple of kids games for it.
    Get Shrek for the 4 year old and get something like Cel-Damage for the 7 year old (and I've played Cel Damage (have you Morgan?) and comparing it to Conker's Fur Day is totally inane).

19. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Heh, don't let that Xbox hater turn you [​IMG] There are plenty of games that would fit the bill.
    Fusion Frenzy ( your kids will love this game )
    Mad Dash
    Shrek ( have heard mixed reviews on this one, your kids should like it, you might not)
    SSX Tricky
    Amped
    Transworld surf
    and depending on what you want your kids exposed to:
    Cel Damage
    NHL Hits
    NFL Fever ( My friends kid is 7 and he is better at this than I am, the little bastard [​IMG])
    WWF raw is war
    Oddworld will dazzle your kids but might be a bit tough for them, it would be a good game to play with them "helping you".
    Games to watch for in the future:
    Antz racing
    Stung!
    Dragons lair 3D
    Harry Potter
    Loons the fight for fame
    Mice Day
    Rayman M
    Crash Bandicoot X
    Spyro the Dragon
    Dean

20. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I know he has an X-Box and he wants games for right now. But then again, I'm trying to say that there are games for X-Box with child-friendly graphics, but not child-friendly gameplay.

Comparing Conker and Cel Damage is wrong, but I was trying to prove my point.

Then again, showing future titles is pointless, seeing as how he's looking for games right now, not next year.