What's new

Suggest a tent for me? (1 Viewer)

BradK

Stunt Coordinator
My wife and I are going to get a tent for camping, but with so much to choose from, dont know what kind to get. There are the three of us (4 year old daughter) and would likely have our 18 year old son join us once in a while. The nights get pretty cold here, even in mid summer, so I guess that would be a factor in deciding. Can you give some ideas?

BradK

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I'm thinking along the lines of about $200.00 or so, definately no more, guess that would be around $150.00 US. I'm sorta trying to get an idea what I should be lookin out for. Dont wanna get something and then a trip or two later wishin i would of got another tent of some kind for whatever reason.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
brad,

I imagine you all will be mostly car camping, perhpas at one of Canada's many neat Provincial Parks. You want something like a 3-person dome tent, certainly one with a rain fly that comes with it.

Let the 18-year-old take care of himself!

Believe it or not, COLEMAN now offers a dozen tents that are well-made and less than $200 U.S.

Google Coleman Tents to see a line-up. Many are available online, and of course Calgary offers many camping/RV/Outdoors shops to browse.

Tim Morton

Stunt Coordinator
If you think you will be using this tent 4 or 5 times a season and want to get more than 2 or three seasons before looking for a new one, I will stand by my recomendation of Kelty. You can get one for 200-250 american. I bought my first one and camped for about 5 or 6 seasons with it before donating it to my MIL who still uses it ...in that time I have seen people I canp with go thru 3 or 4 tents, generally one every other year...its a tough but to crack for your first tent...but I speak from many many years(30+) of tent camping, so take it for what its worth. I also know that those who HATE camping say its because they hate sleeping in puddles when it rains...ie: those with 150 dollar tents.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Ditto on Kelty, they make fairly inexpensive tents that work and aren't terribly expensive. Also check out REI's store brand (REI), they actually make a decent tent for the price and if you have an REI store near you then all the better...

Oh crap... Futurama is on. Whatever you buy, try it out in the backyard first...

Ohhh hHAHAHAHHAHA, Futurama starts off with the gang going out on a hike and the Professor is on this cyborg contraption!! HAHAHAHA

Jay

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
Don't worry about the cold too much. A tent is meant to keep out the wind and rain. Get a good sleeping bag to keep you warm.

Check out mountain equipment co-op for all you camping needs. They should have a Calgary location. Although the tents are probably too small for what you are looking at, you may need some other gear.

But if it is just a one time trip, Canadian tire is your best bet for cheap supplies.

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely check out MEC. They have one in Calgary - I bought some clothing for skiing when we were there 2 winters ago. Great gear.

Andrej

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks