Suggest a subwoofer: better than a DLS 10", but not quite an SVS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Ferreira, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Joe Ferreira

Joe Ferreira Stunt Coordinator

Okay, I am looking for a subwoofer that will be used 60% for movies and 40% for music. I am not against the DLS 10" if it really is THAT good. I cannot afford an SVS (I want one so bad...) So what is a good subwoofer that is in between those two? Surely the DLS isn't the best subwoofer until the SVS? If it matters, right now I have the JBL NSP1 package. Thanks!

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Adire Audio Rava...~$400
    HSU VTF2...~$450-$500

At these prices you are just about there to an SVS 25-31PCi.

Just get the DLS to satisfy you for a year till you save up enough for an SVS.

What's your $$$ limit.

3. Joe Ferreira

Well, technically I could spring for an SVS, but I can't seem to justify my subwoofer costing twice as much as my 5 speakers! I was mostly curious if those $299 subs are any good (JBL PB10, Polk, Infinity, etc.)

4. george king

george king Supporting Actor

5. Joe Ferreira

George, that is one option I did not consider. I will contact him for sure!

6. AdamN

AdamN Stunt Coordinator

May I suggest DIY. Buy a Tempest for $150, a PE 250 watt plate amp $120, and make the box yourself $75.

7. Joe Ferreira

Adam, some people just don't want to DIY. I am one of those. Is it as simple as build a box, cut a hole for the speaker, cut a hole for the amp, and instant bass! Maybe RAD has done some research on sub building design that I just don't have the time for. Thanks for the suggestion though!

8. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

grab a svs...why upgrade twice? looking at it this way, you'll end up saving money! I was in the same boat...glad I did it!

9. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Another build to your price point and specifications....

Consider the well known build to suiteMr. Kyle, at Acoustic-Visions

He is well known for his high quailty work also.

Regards
    Geoff

10. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

11. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

I think saying there is no point going with something between the SVS and a cheeapo sub is dubious advice. There are some great subs for a little less than the SVS. Just as there are lots of great speaker companies out there.

I second the recommendation for the HSU and would also say to look at Aperion Audio. There are reviews of both of these at www.cheaphometheater.com. Note, that the aperion review is not in the powered sub section but just off of the main page.

12. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Pretty much your only option between the SVS and DLS is Brian @ RAD or Kyle @ AV. Anything else won't be worth it under $400, forget the $299 retail subs.

13. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

I think saying there is no point going with something between the SVS and a cheeapo sub is dubious advice. There are some great subs for a little less than the SVS. Just as there are lots of great speaker companies out there.

I second the recommendation for the HSU and would also say to look at Aperion Audio. There are reviews of both of these at www.cheaphometheater.com. Note, that the aperion review is not in the powered sub section but just off of the main page.

14. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Go listen to the Infinity "Entra" 10" subwoofer at Circuit City--it sounded pretty damn good to me. And not just because it's only $350. Remember, Infinity is a member of a very large corporation (Harman International) enabling them to 1) research and build sophisticated technology smaller companies could never hope to design/use and 2) sell things cheaper because of the economies of scale concept. This is one of the few times I'll admit Big Business has advantages.

SVS isn't the only company that can build quality subs.

Anyway, IMO the Entra had powerful & deep bass for its size (I believe Sound & Vision had a similar opinion last year). It may not be able to shake your pictures from the walls [​IMG] but it seems competent enough.

Infinity 10" Entra subwoofer:
    http://www.infinitysystems.com/homea...s=ENT&Status=C

Here's a review of a couple of Infinity's and other subs at S&V (not my favorite magazine but TAS & Stereophile hardly ever test "mid-fi" stuff like this): http://soundandvisionmag.com/article...&page_number=1

LJ

15. ChrisClearman

ChrisClearman Second Unit

Joe,
    I was in the same position as you a couple weeks ago, I wanted to replace my JBL 12" sub of 3 years that crapped out on me but I didn't want to spend more then $300. It's just not worth it to me since I don't have an actual media room right now. I looked at the following:

DLS 10"
    Ininfity 10"
    JBL 10" and 12"
    Audiosource 12 and 15

I was worried that the 10" wouldn't fill up a room when I move into a house soon. The new JBL subs just have the worst track record I've ever seen on A/V equipment. Half of them are DOA out of the box. The Audiosource 15 was on sale at amazon for $199 shipped - same as the 12...after reading reviews on this site I decided to go w/ the Audiosource. I did the setup and got it tuned with my other speakers and I was pretty happy. Then I stuffed it with polyfill and noticed some improvement.

The bass isn't quite as tight as my old JBL sub, it just doesn't seem to quite have the same quick punch, but it handles movies much better. It never seems like it is overextended, just smooth bass....

It's all the sub I need and will tide me over until I have the full setup.

16. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Joe contacted me and told me of his size and space limitations. I think we've come up with something that he'll be happy with and will easily best most of the $300-$400 stuff out there.

17. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Joe's a lucky man then[​IMG]

18. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Excellent

Not even knowing what the purposed design is, driver/make, or size. I am quite sure he will be more than happy with the sub assuming the sub deal follows threw.

$350.00 to $400.00 can do amazing things in the DIY design world. Brian will surly do it up for him, and that is a definite.

Regards
    Geoff