Suggest a region-free player for me

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jamie Cole, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Jamie Cole

Jamie Cole Stunt Coordinator

Aug 8, 1999
    I'm asking the wife (:b ) for a region-free player for Christmas. I don't plan to go nuts buying region-free DVDs, but there are a dozen or so I want right away and I really hope to find what I'm looking for in a player. I know someone here has the answers I need.

-- It must be CHEAP.
    -- It must be DECENT but not necessarily progressive scan.
    -- It would be great if the player generated black windowbox bars for 1.33:1 material like my JVC progressive scan player does, but if it doesn't, no biggie.
    -- And do I really need PAL-to-NTSC conversion as a feature? For instance, I really want the Prince of Darkness special edition (which I believe is region 2) so would I need that feature for that DVD?

Thanks for your help... would really appreciate suggestions.
  2. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

Apr 3, 2003
    0 and have very, very good selections on top dvd players that have been modified to work with all regions (1-6). I purchased the JVC SA602 from 220 electronics the other day (since mutli-region dvd's are almost impossible to find at "authorized" etailers and B&M stores). So I took the chance, and it should arrive in about a weeks time.

I called their customer service also to make sure that was up and working, and though the service rep sounded like he was from Bombay, their phone service is existent, nontheless. I should mention, however, that these two sites primarily have dvd players that have progressive scan, optical and coaxial digital outs, and play a wide variety of formats (svcd, vcd, mp3, dvd-r, dvd-rw, cd-r, cd-rw etc. etc.) In other words, expect to pay nicely over $100.

If you truly truly want cheap and simple, check out the Corvus dvd player here: I can personally attest to the integrity of this site, because I have purchased many things from it (I'm a big anime fan).
  3. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Jan 18, 2002
    Cyberhome 500. It can still be found for as little as $60.
  4. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Oct 12, 2001
    So far I'm very happy with the Philips 727.

Region Free with a one-time remote code, PAL to NTSC, progressive, $80-90, has played everything I've given it so far including a bad DVD-R that no player has come close to even loading, DVD+R and DVD-R (good disc). I don't think anyone has found a way to disable the Macrovision like the Sony 7000, but my Sony can't do DVDR or DTS discs or PAL conversion (I don't think it can anyway).

My R2 Last Unicorn looks extremely nice on this player.