Suggest a Pre/Pro + Amp combo for 2K

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Meconiates, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Tony Meconiates

Tony Meconiates Stunt Coordinator

Current setup:

Studio 40's (fronts)

Studio CC

PW2200

Denon 3300

rears: none (I have a pair of bose 301's and I have been hesitant to even hook them up as it would be sacriligious)

Come summertime, looking to add another pair of studio's - still trying to decide whether I should add 20's or 40's as surrounds, or get a pair of 60's and move my existing 40's to the rear.

I was thinking of a multichannel amp like the parasound 1205... I don't know much about pre amps so I was hoping for some suggestions.

The room is about 12x22x9... Also, due to room layout, the listening/viewing position is up against the wall.

Questions:

1. Any suggestions on a pre-amp/amp combo?

2. How about advice on my whether I should get another pair od 20, 40's or 60's? I am going to be living in an apartment for the next 5 years of so, so listening at reference will be a rare event.

3. Should I even bother going separates?

4. Given my current setup assuming I add surrounds, is there a better way in which to spend 2K to impove setup dramatically?

2. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Although not out yet..the Outalw 950/770 sure sounds like its gonna be a great deal.

3. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

I am also considering the Parasound 1205 along with the Outlaw 950. I was looking at the Outlaw 755 amp but the specs are much better on the Parasound and I don't think the power difference is that big a deal.

4. Rusty J.

Rusty J. Agent

Tony & Brian,

I've read other posts saying that the Parasound/Paradigm combination is a very good one.

5. Tony Meconiates

"I was looking at the Outlaw 755 amp but the specs are much better on the Parasound "

Brian,

What specs were you referring to? If the 950 is going to be best best pre/pro under 1200, then its going to be a no-brainer.

I feel like I should swing for the 60's, grab a 1205 and a 950 come august... this stuff is damn addicting

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Dude, HOOK UP THOSE REARS!!! [​IMG] The dispersion of them should be not unlike dipoles, they actually will sound pretty good. Heck, it's WAY better than nothing! [​IMG]

7. Brian Corr

I compared some of the specs of the Parasound 2205 to the Outlaw 755.

parasound - 220 watts x 5 at 8 ohms/300 watts x 5 at 4 ohms

outlaw - 200 watts x 5 at 8 ohms/300 watts x 5 at 4 ohms

parasound - .03 thd

outlaw - .05 thd

parasound - 96 db s/n

outlaw - 119 db s/n

parasound - 1000 damping factor

outlaw - 850 damping factor

parasound - 130 volts/microsecond slew rate

outlaw - 50 volts/microsecond slew rate

parasound - 1500 watts power consumption

outlaw - 1800 watts power consumption

parasound - 60 db at 20 khz (Interchannel Crosstalk)

outlaw - greater than 90 db from 20 hz to 20 khz (Interchannel Crosstalk)

Now, I'm not saying that the Outlaw will sound worse than the parasound based on these specs but there's a reason the outlaw is cheaper. They are using cheaper and lower rated components than companies like parasound.

I think that parasound is a better amp, BUT you may not be able to hear the difference between the 2 so it could be a moot point.

For me, if 2 amps sound similiar and my cost is similiar, then I am going to buy the one that is built with the better components. For most people, a new 2205 is going to cost considerably more than a 755.

For me, the cost difference is not an issue. I can get the 2205 (dealer) for very close to the 755. It's more power than I need so I may go with the 1205 instead and save a few bucks.

I'd love to see someone compare a 1205 to the 755.

Even at dealer cost, I can't get anything close to the 950 pre/pro's cost, so I think I am going that route.

8. Tony Meconiates

Brain,

Ok, that makes sense... I thought you were referring to the 1205 vs the 755 in your previous post. Given my speaker outlook for the next 5 years or so (studio 20,40,60) I think the 2205 would be overkill... The 1205 seems to be at the sweet spot with 140 wpc.

What kind of speaker setup you got?

Phil,

Yea, this weekend I am going to hook up the rears... due to the rooms layout, its going to be a hassle, that is also part of the reason I have put it off for a while.

9. Brian Corr

Tony,

I'm using M&K 150's up front and 150 tripoles in the rear.

Also, just to clarify, the specs on the parasound 1205 are almost the same as the 2205 except for the power rating and damping factor which is 800 on the 1205.

10. Tony Meconiates

bump!

11. Peter Johnson

Peter Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Brian, those specs tell you NOTHING about how the amp sounds and even less about the quality of the components used.

"parasound - .03 thd

outlaw - .05 thd"

Means nothing. Your speakers will often produce 100's of times this at high (>100dB) SPL's. THD is an aspect of negative feedback in the amps design. THD can be reduced so low that its not even able to be measured as the measuring device itself is worse! Problem is, negative feedback sounds like crap.

"parasound - 1000 damping factor

outlaw - 850 damping factor"

This is just the output impedance of the amplifer. Again comes from design. If damping factor is too high, many people can comment that it is subjectively too thin sounding.

"parasound - 1500 watts power consumption

outlaw - 1800 watts power consumption"

The outlaw is less efficient. I would say this is a good thing, sonically. The best amps i've heard are about 15-20% efficient, Class A amps. Again, comes down to design.

I dont want to disect everything you said, but my point is specs mean absolutely nothing from amps...its all about tradeoffs.

FWIW, I have never heard either the Parasound, nor the outlaw. I will never buy neither, so I am completely unbiased in my opinion.

12. Brian Corr

I stated in my post that the specs won't necessarily determine how the amp sounds.

I have heard parasound amps and am familiar with the build quality. I haven't heard the outlaw.

My main point is that the Outlaw amp is cheaper becuase they are using a design and components of lesser quality. You may not be able to hear the difference. But as long as sound and price difference isn't a major factor, I would buy the component that is engineered/built better.

13. Tony Meconiates

"FWIW, I have never heard either the Parasound, nor the outlaw. I will never buy neither, so I am completely unbiased in my opinion. "

Peter, may I ask why? What would you buy?

14. Peter Johnson

Peter Johnson Stunt Coordinator

No, nothing negative about either brands.
    I live in Australia and the Outlaw is more than likely going to be too expensive to ship. Shipping anything to me is usually $200-300 minimum. Can run $500+ easy if I ship it personally. WAY too much.
    WRT parasound..there are better products for the money down here. ME Sound (www.me-au.com) make FAR superior products in my experience, however there is no US dealer. Buying australian made in Australia is a HUGE plus..
    I am a student, so I cant afford any of it! [​IMG]