What's new

Suggest a Polk Back Surround Speaker (1 Viewer)

I actually have two questions I hope you guys can help me with. (1) My HT is in a small space (13.5 x 13.5) and my listening position is up against the back wall. Because of the very weird way this room is designed, I will only be able to place a single back surround speaker in this room and it will have to be positioned right above the listenting position (i.e., on a parallel line with the side surround speakers). QUESTION 1: given this set-up, is it wise to get a back surround speaker at all? (2) Assuming that I should get a back speaker ... My speakers are as follows: Polk RTi150s (F/L fronts), Polk CSi40 (center), Polk RTi38 side surrounds, and VFT-2 subwoofer. I would like to stick with Polk, but I'm not sure which Polk speaker would be best for the back surround position. QUESTION 2: What Polk speaker should I look at for the back surround?

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I use a pair of RTi25's facing up on small stands behind my sofa. They sound really good to me. I think you can get the RTi28's on clearance from CC right now. Or check Ebay, there are always some on there.

JerryCulp

Stunt Coordinator
I would try something like LOTR FOTR Balins Tomb where the skeleton and the bucket fall down the well. There is a part of that where the sound is directly behind you. If it sounds fine without a back channel, I'd leave it. Angling the rear surrounds towards the wall a little might help.

I havent tried a back channel in your situation, but i cant see one being very effective that way. The speaker would be to close to get any dispersion, so it would really only be heard if you're sitting in front of it.

Something like a csi30 would be better than a regular bookshelf, IMHO.

How about two in-wall speakers?

Mark All

Second Unit
I'd suggest given your seating position there's nothing to be gained from trying to put another speaker in what would seem to be a place right above your head.

If there was any way to put a speaker so it would be behind you at least a couple of feet, I'd suggest a CSi30 for a single speaker or a pair of FXi30s if you had room for two.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks