Sugestions for Dreamcast games please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Testa, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Andrew Testa

Andrew Testa Second Unit

It's time for me to get some new games for the Dreamcast, and I'm finding that I don't agree at all with some of the on-line reviewers based on my purchases so far. I thought I'd ask for some suggestions from the group. What I have that I absolutely LOVE:

Skies of Arcadia
    MDK2
    Rayman 2
    Crazy Taxi 2
    Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

What I have that's gone or getting sold:

Sega V-rally (looks cool, but kinda boring)
    Aerowings 2 (when does the fun start?)
    Vigilante 8: 2nd offense (poor graphics, not as fun as Twisted Metal 2)
    Unreal Tournament (didn't realize it was multiplayer only)
    Tomb Raider Chronicles (horrible graphics, hate the control scheme)

I find that what I like the best are platform and action games, specifically 3D worlds where you have the freedom to roam. That's what I like best about Skies of Arcadia, since I generally don't like Japanese RPGs.

I absolutely won't play fighting or sports games, which seem to be the predominatant Dreamcast fare. I also don't like pure 2D shooters. I've been disappointed by the Resident Evil and Dino Crisis series, mostly because of control and linearity issues. I have been intrigued by Jet Grind Radio and the Sonic series and may try those.

For more guidance, What I have loved on the Playstation is Medal of Honor series, the Spyro series, GTA2. I enjoy Gran Turismo, but I can only play a driving game for so long before I get bored.

Not too picky, am I? So, any recomendations for a good platformer, action, or adventure game for Dreamcast that I should look for? Any absolute crap I should avoid?

Andy

2. Mike Brogan

Mike Brogan Second Unit

3. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Quote:

any recomendations for a good platformer, action, or adventure game for Dreamcast

Andrew,

*Arabian Nights: Prince of Persia: surprisingly polished adventure/puzzle/platformer
    *Resident Evil: Code Veronica: gorgeous, fun, deep adventure horror title
    *Bangai-O: Adventure shooter, the most fun I've had in a LONG time
    *Cannon Spike: fun Capcom themed brawler with bright, polished graphics.. play as Megaman even!!
    *Sonic Adventure 1 & 2: Simply must-haves for the DC
    *Crazy Taxi 2: the best, most complete game in the crazy taxi series.. and that's taking in to account the rushed 'crazy taxi 3' sequel.
    *Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm: this recommendation is dedicated to romier and brianB, among others. Fun hack n slash adventurer in the same vein as Drakkan: the ancient's gate.
    *Frogger 2: actually quiet good, believe it or not. a puzzle platformer with bright, smooth graphics and fun, varied levels.
    *Ms. Pacman Maze Madness: see above. one of the most 'fun' games you will ever play.
    *GTA2: dedicated to brianB. you've probably played this to death on the PC, but the DC version has some nifty lighting effects altogether missing from its PSX counterpart.
    *Typing of the Dead: a surreal, engaging, unique experience. a cross between 'house of the dead,' a psychology course, and typing class.
    *Jet Grind Radio: an emphasis on tagging and less nausea inducing camera angles than its sequel.
    *Metropolis Street Racer: calling this a mere racing game is like calling Soul Caliber a mere fighting game. it's an adventure, an RPG, an experience, IMO.
    *Power Stone 1 & 2: great party games. pick up anything in the level and use it again your enemy in environments that drastically shift throughout the battle. another of capcom's dreamcast flagship titles.
    *Record of Lodoss War: great, great dungeon crawler in the vein of Baldur's Gate: DA, but loosely based on the famous anime series.
    *SF Rush 2049: great framerate, problematic and confusing menu screens, but the best version you'll find anywhere. highly recommended.
    *Shenmue 1 & 2: lets you live another person's day to day life, tracking down clues in an epic story of honor, revenge and intrigue. every last detail in a living breathing city is realized... must be seen to be believed... and not for people who need to 'beat' games as soon as possible.
    *Silver: interesting, literate action/RPG with great voice acting and an evil, demonic central antagonist named silver with a hook nose and grey hair... worth it alone just for that.
    *Soul Caliber: best..fighting game...ever
    *Super Magnetic Neo: frustratingly difficult but interesting and solid platform adventure game. you will throw your controller out the window after world three, but somehow fun nonetheless.
    *THPS2: one of the best versions of this classic game.
    *Virtual On: legendary fanboy title, mech fighting.

So there you have it... some great games out for this system.

Good luck!

~j

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

You can't got wrong with those suggestions

Jet Set(Grind) Radio is an unbelieveable game

Warning, it'll make you buy an XB to play the sequel(which I recommend you buy ASAP considering it's now OOP)

5. Andrew Testa

Andrew Testa Second Unit

Thanks!

I'll probably try to get some of the platformers first, as that's my favorite game style. Jet Grind Radio looks very appealing, too. Many of these games you suggest I've seen get mediocre or plain bad reviews on several sites. I've been burned several times by buying a game based on good reviews, and wind up with the game having absolutely no appeal to me.

I guess the problem is that I don't know what kind of games the reviewer likes, and he doesn't know what I like, which is why I got so detailed about what I was looking for. Now I've got a good starting list. Anybody else have any suggestions, especially platformers?

Thanks again everybody!

Andy

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I love Toy Commander as well. You should be able to find it for well under $10, so it's not much of a risk for you

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

8. BorisM

BorisM Stunt Coordinator

9. Oscar Saenz

Oscar Saenz Stunt Coordinator

I have to seond Mike on REZ being addictive. However, its a shame you don't play sports games as Virtua Tennis is one of the most addictive games I have ever played. It is very easy to pick up and learn.

10. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

Wild Metal is pretty good and very cheap. It's from DMA (the same company behind the GTA series). It's very simplistic, drive your tank around large 3D levels and find "cores," blowing up the bad tanks you meet along the way. The graphics are pretty low-end for the DC but I had a lot of fun with it anyway. The multiplayer mode is great. Too bad they never released the PC version, at least not in the U.S........

Then you could always try to import Ikagura (although it's probably pretty hard to find already). But if you don't like 2D shooters there's not much point in that.

11. BrianB

BrianB Producer

12. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but do you know of an online retailer that sells the UK version and will ship to the U.S.? Preferably cheap [​IMG]