1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Suede's new CD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wilson W, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Wilson W

Wilson W Agent

To the Suede fans here, any thoughts on Suede's new CD "a new morning"?

To me, it's been a downward slide since Dog Man Star. They have very great potential, too bad Butler wouldn't stay and when he left, the band really suffered.

In all the subsequent albums, there were a couple of good songs in each CD, but nothing in the same league of the first 2 CD. And the lyrics seemed to repeat itself over and over.

I htink they really need a strong writer to join the band.

2. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

Well...I think it is at least better than Head Music. You are right though, they have never duplicated what they had on the self-titled and Dog Man Star albums. I did think that Coming Up was brilliant in a pop-fluff kind of way. Head Music was their worst but still had some great songs. The new one is better overall (the lesser songs don't make me cringe like Head Music) and has a few more real gems on it (Astrogirl is one of my favorite Suede songs in a long time). But it still doesn't touch their heydey. I do hope they Stay Together and keep going since they still put out some good stuff. Commercially, the new album is doing very poorly (in the UK at least).
    I do, however, see Butler's recent interview quote that leaving Suede was a big mistake to be a sure sign of the apocalypse! [​IMG]

3. JonathanG

JonathanG Stunt Coordinator

No I agree, "New Morning" is a bitter disappointment. Except for the first track, "Positivity", the rest of the album is nonmemorable.

4. Wilson W

Wilson W Agent

Interesting to see that Butler regretted leaving Suede, now only if he and Brett would make up...

I also picked up the 2 Butler solo albums, hoping that they would be somehow an artistic extension of Dog Man Star, but while they are not complete disaster, they are nothing to brag about.

Another textbook example of the "sum of parts much less than the band".

You Suede fans out there, what else do you recommend?