What's new

Suddenly (1954) Best Version? (1 Viewer)

JavierS

Stunt Coordinator
I see that there are a lot of version of this movie out. Does anyone know which one is the best?

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
By this point, what is the best DVD incarnation of this PD film?

Is it the Sanctuary one?

Real Name
David
Even in light of the Sanctuary release being somewhat superior according to DVD Beaver, I'll keep the Roan Version.

--This was the first film I saw Sinatra in and turned him on to me as an actor! It's great! I like anything with James Gleason in it too!

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I've never seen this movie, but I'm intrigued. I see that TCM will air it on May 28 -- does anybody know what quality their version has, or what aspect ratio? Note, the TCM database says the theatrical aspect ratio is 1.75:1.

I assume the ROAN on Amazon is the same as what's listed as the WEA on DVDBeaver, due to the similar (but not exact) cover art and the same release date. Looking at the DVD frame comparisons it's hard to pick a favorite between the ROAN/WEA and the Sanctuary.

I don't like PAL speedup, so that's a strike against the Sanctuary, along with the comments about the crackles and pops on sound. I also think the ROAN's framing is a little better and less cropped. But the ROAN seems to me to be slightly compressed vertically, or maybe it's slightly stretched horizontally giving the same effect. Compare the shapes of heads -- it seems like they are more naturally shaped on the Sanctuary, while on the ROAN they are slightly odd-shaped. Any comments on this?

Are there any hopes for a more mainstream studio doing a definitive DVD version of this one, especially given the big hoopla with Sinatra right now? I guess maybe it would have been announced already if so.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Way to go, Jack!

In response to GlennH, I taped Suddenly off TCM a couple of years ago in widescreen and it looks excellent, better than a couple of public domain DVD's that I've seen. I didn't know about the Roan Group DVD.

TCM is a class act every day.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Thanks for the info. I have a reminder set to record the TCM showing. I think that's the route I'll take for the time being. Seems like maybe I can make my own DVD if I want to that will be on par with the best available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks