1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Sudden receiver overload? Can anyone help me?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bart_R, May 24, 2006.

1. Bart_R

Bart_R Stunt Coordinator

Hi everyone,

I'm in sort of a jam, since my receiver suddenly stopped outputting sound. I don't know what happened. I think I accidentaly pushed some button while on the phone but it seems some irreparable damage has been done somehow, since I cannot get back to normal.

Ok, I've got a Pioneer VSX-D510 receiver, and after that phonecall when I wanted to play a dvd, or a cd, the signal light "dolby digital" on the display kept flashing on and off, even though everything was connected properly. Then I switched to the tuner, and I didn't even get any sound anymore! Plus, the little red overload-dot was on. What's happening?

I've looked through the instruction manual and it says this dot is on when the analog signal is too high, but I've now disconnected everything (after trying pushing every button to fix it) and the thing is still on! I'm afraid the receiver is busted, but how can this be?!

It'd be great if anyone here could help me out, since I'm all out of ideas.
    Thanks.

Sincerely,
    Bart.

2. Bart_R

Bart_R Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone perhaps know how to reset this receiver? I cannot find anything about it in the manual...

I've now tried unhooking everything, from the components to the speakers, and had it shut off and unplugged for some time, but I keep getting the frigging overload-dot, without any sound coming from the speakers. And I don't remember doing anything to the receiver other than accidentily pushing some button on the front panel.

Doesn anybody have any idea what is going on, or what I could do to fix it?

Regards,
    Bart.

3. Kean-Hock Yeap

Kean-Hock Yeap Stunt Coordinator

This is the reset sequence taken from this thread below for Pioneer 1014/1015 receiver -- may or may not work for your unit:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...highlight=1014

"Resetting the main unit
    Use this procedure to reset all the receiver’s settings to
    the factory default. Use the front panel controls to do this.
    1 - Switch the receiver into standby.
    2 - While holding down the TONE button, press and
    hold the STANDBY/ON button for about three
    seconds.
    3 - When you see RESET? appear in the display,
    press ENTER. OK? shows in the display.
    4 - Press SYSTEM SETUP to confirm.
    OK appears in the display to indicate that the receiver
    has been reset to the factory default settings."

4. Bart_R

Bart_R Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the tip Kean-Hock [​IMG].

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. NOthing appears in the display when I use that (or any) combination of buttons. Surely there must be some way to reset this thing. Can't every receiver be reset in some way?

Looks like I have to send it to the factory or chuck it out. So frustrating, since I don't think I did anything special...

Cheers,
    Bart.

5. Doug Z

Doug Z Stunt Coordinator

If everything stopped when you hit a button chances are you just need to retrace your steps. Your remote has a muting and signal select button, usually when something blinks like that in the display that is what is being bypassed or it is muted. Onkyo receivers will do NOTHING if you accidently press the "rec out" button and can drive a novice used crazy. The pioneer probably has something similiar that a reset may not fix. Start pushing buttons and watch the display for little icons to appear, you will learn the remote well and possibly fix the problem.

6. Bart_R

Bart_R Stunt Coordinator

Hey Doug,

Thanks for your reply. Well, I tried that already since, that was the first thing I thought of. I pushed the mute button, and every other button on the remote, to see if something improved/changed, but no cigar...

I find it strange that there isn't a troubleshooting item in the manual concerning overload-problems. It does say what it means when this little (overload-)dot is on, but not what you should do to solve it. No matter what the problem is now, I'd be interested in getting it back to factory settings. I'm all out of ideas. But even that doesn't seem to be possible. *sigh*

Ah well, thanks anyway. [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Bart.

7. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

An overload indication generally means an electronic failure in the receiver and resetting will probably not help. You should first disconnect all speaker wires and check again. If it still shows then you will need service.

Pressing a button would not have caused this type of problem directly but the physical movement of the unit while pressing could cause speaker wires to touch or something internal to make/break connection.

Also try turning down the volume level to minimum (you might have to do this immediately after power up and before the indicator comes on if it has an electronic volume control).

8. Bart_R

Bart_R Stunt Coordinator

Hi Steve,

Thanks for chipping in. I disconnected everything and turned the volume all the way down and still the indicator is there. I find it unlikely though that I could have physically moved the unit while pressing the button. It's a pretty sturdy appliance and the pressing-action couldn't have been so substantial as for the thing to move. It'll remain a mystery I suppose, and it looks like there's nothing else to it but to get it repaired. Bummer.

Thanks for your suggestions, though. [​IMG]

Regards,
    Bart.