Sudden HK 525 Replacement

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Louisp, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Louisp

Louisp Stunt Coordinator

Louis Patrick
    I would like you suggestions for a new AVR.

Unexpectedly we have to replace our Harman Kardon AVR 525. Our other equipment includes Infinity Alpha Speakers, Directv H10 HDTV Receiver, Denon DVD 2200 and a Sony 42 inch 'A10. Money wise, the situation is that I'm now retired on disability so cost is an issue.

I look forward to your comments and suggestions.

2. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

What is your budget limit? Were there things about the HK that you liked/didn't like? Are there additional features you'd like to have that you didn't have with the HK?

3. Louisp

Louisp Stunt Coordinator

Louis Patrick
    Budget $700-800, Liked all features of the 525. What I do not need is upconverison, xm radio, zone 2, but I do want 7.1 if possible.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Louis,

There was a period of time about a month ago when I had two receivers in my home:

- H/K AVR-125
    - Panasonic XR55 digital receiver

I was torn as to which one I should keep. If I decided to keep the H/K, I more than likely would have upgraded to a higher model.

I'm running Infinity Beta speakers - probably quite close to Alphas for sound likeness.

I went back and forth. H/K, Panasonic, H/K, etc. I really liked the sound of the H/K. However, I really loved the sound of the Panasonic. That is the one that is on my shelf at the moment.

By no means am I negative towards the H/K. I just felt that the upper-end detail on the Panasonic and the mid-range sound was a bit better. However, I'd be nearly as happy to have an H/K on my shelf, too. Given the fact that the AVR-435 and 635 have the EQ feature, my guess is that the mid-range frequencies could be pulled out a bit to give it the detail that I desire.

Best of luck to you.