What's new

Blu-ray Review Sucker Punch Extended Cut Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ Of course they do, or else review(er)s would be pointless, wouldn't they?
For myself, I don't care what a review says. I *do* care what a *particular* reviewer says. Not at all the same thing. I can't do/see everything obviously, gotta have other ears and eyes I trust out there for me to help allocate my time...

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
In general guys, some films obviously no matter how bad will to well. But I see this place (and others) littered with comments about how people will base their decision on seeing / not seeing a film depending on published reviews.
Published reviews aren't rubber stamps, at least for me. But part of following reviews is finding a reviewer or reviewers whose taste mirrors your own in some general sense. Personally, if a lot of reviewers praise a film - then it probably has some merit. For films whose reviews are (near universally) negative I tend to avoid them unless the theme or director catches my interest, or I am in the mood for a potentially guilty pleasure film.
What are the alternatives to using reviews?
1) Marketing - If you believe the advertisements then every thing under the sun is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
2) Word of mouth - While I appreciate discussing films with other fans generally speaking a professional, thought out review is going to be more illuminating - particularly in terms of themes, overall consistency, relevance to other films and film techniques, and overall tone and aesthetic considerations.
3) Flip a coin?
4) Magic 8-Ball?
So yeah, I do depend upon reviews to some degree because they are more informative than the other options that are available for me. And I do like to make (at least somewhat) informed choices.
- Walter.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I usually read sites such as Rotten Tomatoes, because that gives a number of reviews, which enables me to get an idea what the consensus is. I also read what people say on home theater sites. As for Sucker Punch, I watched a fight scene from it involving giant samurai warriors, and...well, it just doesn't seem all that interesting.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ What I as an individual might like has absolutely no connection to any (democratic) majority vote...it's an absolute dictatorship. IMO/E better to find a couple reviewers who you can relate to.
By "relate to", I don't mean "agree with". There is one BD reviewer here who I like the same stuff he does. There is another whose taste is diametrically opposed to mine. They are both equally helpful. :)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by RobertR
I usually read sites such as Rotten Tomatoes,...

I don't even bother with that. I know what films I like and will not like based on the casting, directing, trailers and so on. That last thing I will ever do is base my decision on seeing / or not seeing a film on the opinions of others; here, rottentomatoes, any other movie site, or published reviews. To do so makes no sense to me what-so-ever.

As it is quite obvious, stinkers to the masses usually equates to films that are favorites of mine, like Sucker Punch.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Ron-P said:
 I don't even bother with that. I know what films I like and will not like based on the casting, directing, trailers and so on. That last thing I will ever do is base my decision on seeing / or not seeing a film on the opinions of others; here, rottentomatoes, any other movie site, or published reviews. To do so makes no sense to me what-so-ever.  As it is quite obvious, stinkers to the masses usually equates to films that are favorites of mine, like Sucker Punch.
I do the same thing as you for some films. Sometimes I'll see a trailer and I'll KNOW I won't like it. Or I'll see "starring/directed by" and not want to see it (Transformers is an example). I know I'll see the last Harry potter film. But for other films, I won't have such preconceptions. There's no internal guide. So, I'll see what others think. That does NOT mean I will or won't like it based on what others think, only that there has to be something to guide me in what I'll see.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, I haven't been able to watch the entire disc but, so far, I like the film in the visual sense. I think Snyder really has a knack with his visuals. The opening scene where the rivulets of rain form the movie's title kind of reminded me a bit of Will Eisner's technique for his "The Spirit" comic splash pages.
Edit: I should add that so far I like the film as a whole, so I guess I just like shitty movies or don't have the refined taste required to enjoy such "stellar" film fare as "Magnolia".

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Suggesting that someone who didn't like "Sucker Punch" is a movie snob is just as distasteful as suggesting that someone who DID like the film is a rube.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I pretty much hated Sucker Puch when I saw it in IMAX. I loved the visuals and audio but the rest left me cold.
I always knew I was going to get the Blu Ray for the scenes I liked and I have to admit, I have warmed up quite a bit to the film. Yes the story and Emily Browning's acting are still eye roll inducing but on the whole, I enjoyed it much more than when I saw it in the theater. It's growing on me.
And those action scenes are spectacular. The Blu Ray is terrific.
Who knows, I may someday be in Ron P's camp!:D
P.S. my wife LOVED it...and she usually hates these type of films.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Emily Browning was Baby Doll? Man that girl had that one vacuous expression the entire film, it was hilarious. And she was the lead actor?

And what happened to Scott Glenn? 65 going on 85? Is he ill?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TheBat said:
edwin. if you hate van helsing, then you are in luck.
Jacob
:laugh:
dpippel said:
Suggesting that someone who didn't like "Sucker Punch" is a movie snob is just as distasteful as suggesting that someone who DID like the film is a rube.
Well, the comment wasn't really intended to suggest that anyone who didn't like "Sucker Punch" was a movie snob. In fact, it could be interpreted that I'm being a movie snob because I think that "Magnolia" was boring, insipid, ridiculously obtuse and undeserving of the praise that it has garnered from a lot of people.
The fact of the matter is that at any given time everyone on this site is a "movie snob". I mean, for example, there are probably a lot of people who liked "Battle: LA". I rented the film and, normally, I would like that type of action film; however, in the case of "Battle: LA", I thought the film was complete shit, not because of the paper thin characters or the thin story, but because it was nothing but a two hour USMC recruiting film disguised as entertainment. Someone who liked the film could think that I'm being a snob and they would probably be right.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I normally would not like such a film at all but for some reason I do. I saw it a year ago during a Blockbuster free rental and then decided to buy it before Xmas when Best Buy was selling it for $4. I just watched the DC cut the other night and I didn't really notice any extra scenes except the high roller conversation and I'm not sure if that was in the TC or not or just an extra deleted scene on the rental disc. I still liked it. I've heard that take on the movie before in the link above. I'm not sure the story as shown fully supports such a view but to me it doesn't really make a difference if Sweet Pea's escape is in the real world with Baby Doll and the old man being guardian angels or the whole thing is a fantasy world. The problem with the "whole thing is a fantasy" view is that it still requires Baby Doll's entrance to be real with Sweet Pea being taught in the real world to control her mind during that time, which it can't be by the claim it is all fantasy. Otherwise we cannot know that Sweet Pea was taught anything about dealing with issues or if she is in fact going to get a lobotomy since the whole thing is a fantasy. You have to take a leap of faith that certain things in the all-fantasy world are "real" but others are not. Another way to look at it is that Baby Doll thought the story was about her but in the end she found out she was just a guardian angel sent to help someone else and the setup was just to get her where she needed to be and in the end she accepted that role.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks