What's new

Successful TV Shows Based On Movies? (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Off the top of my head, I can think of three that did very well:

M*A*S*H

The Odd Couple

Alice

There must be other TV shows based on movies that were successful. What'm I forgetting?

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
La Femme Nikita

Alien Nation (only one season, but still great IMO)

The Dukes Of Hazzard (lineage from MOONRUNNERS)

Stargate SG-1

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Defining "success" as a minimum of three seasons and/or successful afterlife in syndication or DVD:

Mama (7 seasons; live show now largely lost, adapted from 1947 film I Remember Mama)
Life of Riley (2 different series, the 1953-1958 William Bendix version being a hit, from the 1949 movie)
Naked City (5 seasons; from the 1948 movie)
Dr. Kildare (5 seasons, from the long-running MGM film series)
The Farmer's Daughter (3 seasons, from the 1947 movie)
Gidget (only 1 season but widely syndicated since then, from the 1959 movie and sequels, and a 1980s sequel series)
The Courtship of Eddie's Father (3 seasons, based on the 1963 movie)
McCloud (7 seasons, based on the 1968 movie Coogan's Bluff)
What's Happening (3 seasons; from the 1975 movie Cooley High, also 1980s sequel series)
The Paper Chase (4 seasons, based on the 1973 movie)
Fame (6 seasons, based on the 1980 movie)
Hotel (5 seasons, based in part on the 1967 movie)
Mr. Belvedere (6 seasons, based on the 1948 film Sitting Pretty and 2 sequels, there were also three pilots in the 50s and 60s before this)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

One could argue that Alias Smith and Jones was based on Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
Harper Valley PTA ran for two seasons and was syndicated.

Flamingo Road (2 seasons)

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
"PEYTON PLACE" HUGE HIT, loosely based on the book and film. Only resemblance were a few of the major characters names, otherwise plots totally different. I once read the pilot of the series was closely aligned with film and book plots. It was the first series to be in a continuing storyline similar to a daytime soap opera. They never re-ran an original episode during the entire series run of five years and it accumlated some 514 episodes in its run. I am not sure if it was ever rerun or syndicated ??

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I know there was a TV movie called The Waltons, but this originally came from the 1963 movie Spencer's Mountain with Henry Fonda, Maureen O'Hara, and James MacArthur.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised that two major hits haven't been mentioned, although they were "inspired" by movies and not directly based on them: "Happy Days" (inspired by American Grafitti) and "The Brady Bunch" (inspired by Yours, Mine and Ours). I also seem to think that there was a feature-length movie of "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea", but not sure if it was released before or after the TV series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks