What's new

Subwooofer problem (1 Viewer)

Douglas

Auditioning
Just got a new Velodyne SPL 1200 subwoofer. Installed it with my Denon 5700. At first it sounded great. Then a few days later when I turned on my system, the sub emitted a series of booms whenever a signal is sent to it.
I checked all my connections, and everything seems OK. Spoke to Velodyne, and they said it sounds like a bad amp. Velodyne says they will ship me a new amp, and that it would be easy for me to install the new one. (This will be quicker than swapping sub for a new one as my dealer said it will be a few weeks until he can get his hands on a new unit).
Before I take apart my sub, I was wondering if I may be missing something simple that causes my sub to act this way. Any ideas? Moreover, does anyone know if it is relatively simple to swap out the amps as Velodyne suggests?

Ya mine was awesome ....and then it started buzzing a lot. Same thing, amp problem. Talking to a dealer they were in the process of replacing all the first batch amps. The amps were already in, they just haden't called me to inform me of the problem. I replaced mine and it has been flawless ever since. Swapping it out was reletively easy. One thing I did notice though was the new amp was much better. Upon examining the amp, I notice they bumped up the number of capacitors on the amp from 2 to 4. Cool. Doubling the capacitance can't hurt at all ....
Get the new amp and you'll be very happy ..... I know I am.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
If you havent already, try a new interconnect too. Any old video(composite)cable will do fine. You might also try the speaker level inputs too.
TV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks