Subwooofer hum

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by allanSAN, Aug 8, 2004.

1. allanSAN

allanSAN Auditioning

I am new here and need some help with a sub problem. I just finished hooking up a Jensen sub for a buddy, and for some reason we are getting a low level hum when we play any DVD's. There is no hum when using the tuner, separate CD player or VCR. The hum get really bad when you turn up the level and crossover on the sub. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Will d s

Will d s Stunt Coordinator

Try swapping out dvd players with a friends and see if it goes away. How is the dvd player hooked up and is it still thier if you switch surround modes?

3. Dave Man

Dave Man Stunt Coordinator

I had the same problem with my sub as it was plugged in to a different outlet from my receiver. If that is the case in your situation, you may have the same problem I did, which is a ground loop issue. You could probably diagnose this by running an extension cord from your sub to the same outlet as the rest of your equipment. If the hum goes away, it's a ground loop issue which will need to be addressed.

David

4. Nathan Porteous

Nathan Porteous Stunt Coordinator

I had two subs very loud until i realized my lamp on high was the culprit, once I figured out what it was i felt much better about my purchases.
    Damb lamp!!!