subwoofers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by clay f, Jun 11, 2002.

1. clay f

clay f Extra

i just bought the Sony 8" 50-Watt Powered Subwoofer model SAW-M20. i am new to home theatre and i thought this would be sufficient, but it turns out i want more bass, and i want to buy another subwoofer. my question is this: when i get this new sub, is there any way i can use both at the same time? i only have one sub output. thanks in advance.

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Clay;

It's possible. You can buy a Y-splitter at Radio Shack that will split the signal into two paths, one to each subwoofer. The thing is, if you do get a better sub, you probably won't need that 50-watt one anymore. It will simply become redundant.

If you want to keep things on the inexpensive side, look into another Sony sub, specifically the Sony SA-WM40. It's held in well regard among the under $200 class.

3. clay f

clay f Extra

thats the sub i was actually looking to buy. the thing i was really hoping to be able to do is buy another 50-watt one so i would only have to spend another 100. i am on a very tight budget. i just spent close to a grand on my home theatre system and i am only 16, and i dont get paid that much for my job, so u can probably see where i am coming from. i need to save up to buy a new tv first because all i have to work with now is an rf jack on the back (its about as old as me, haha) so what do u think the quality would be like if i were to link the two 50-watts together? thanks again.

4. jeff cr

jeff cr Agent

take the sony 50 watt back and buy the sawm-40 . this is aan awesome sub for the price. its only $189 at best buy. by the time you buy another 50 watt and the hardware to hook it up you will spend more money than the 100watt sub.

5. clay f

clay f Extra

ok thanks. as a matter of fact, i think i still have time to return the sub. i only bought it maybe 2 weeks ago and best buy has a 30 day policy.

6. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Yes, return the old sub and upgrade. 2 x poor bass does not equal good bass...

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

2 X poor bass does not equal good bass.... " This is so true. Please--, take Gregs advice.[​IMG]

8. clay f

clay f Extra

i will definetly do that. thanks for your help.