subwoofers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ralphPerez, Mar 8, 2002.

1. ralphPerez

ralphPerez Stunt Coordinator

Need a question answered please. Why does a subwoofer have the option of either connecting the speakers to it or connecting the receivers sub out to the subwoffer? and which one is better?? Sitting in Detroit area confused?!

Can someone turn my lights on on this question?

Thanks

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

The RCA jacks are for the typical LFE 'sub mix' output, which is nothing but bass, ready for the sub. Some subs have a jack marked 'LFE in', which is not affected at all by the crossover.

But if you don't have such a jack on your stereo, you can use the wire in and outs to allow the sub to filter the bass out of the signal.

Let us know if you have any more questions....

- CM

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Ralph. Welcome to HTF!

The "traditional" 2-channel way of hooking in a subwoofer is like this:

You only have L/R speaker outputs. You run speaker wires to the sub. It will strip off the low-frequency sounds it wants. You must then run more speaker wire from the outputs of the sub to your L/R speakers to handle the rest of the sounds.

But a modern HT system has 5 (or more speakers). They are sometimes all large tower speakers, all small monitor-style, or a mix.

Your Dolby Digital receiver has the ability to:

- send the ".1" sounds to the LFE output

- send low-frequency from any/all "SMALL" speakers to the LFE output.

So letting the reciever decide what to do tends to be the prefered way of hooking up a sub.

Does this help?

4. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

There are recievers out there..that are just stereo recievers that have no sub out or LFE channels...and the only way to hook them up is to use the speaker level input. I have 3 subs in 3 diff rooms at home. My main is hooked up via the LFE channel..the bedroom and den are done via the speaker level inputs...why?

My bedroom sub..even though my Reciever has an LFE channel..is an older sub and does not handle the HT stuff that well using the low level input..thus I use the speaker level...

My den...its an older yammie..it has no sub or lfe channel..thus I have to run speaker level...

come to think...my powered towers in my main have either..and I run them speaker level too.. options..options..and more options... cause everyone's system is diff..and have diff. requirements..

hope that helps ya out..Thomas a.