Subwoofers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChristopherBer, Mar 11, 2003.

1. ChristopherBer

ChristopherBer Stunt Coordinator

Where did subwoofers originate from? Who invented the first one? What is the history of them? Thanks...[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

They go way back, Christopher.

3. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Jack, I disagree with you somewhat. I've been into audio and video since the mid 60's and subwoofers for residential use is a fairly recent phenom. Woofers? Sure they have been around forever. Subwoofers? I believe they only became popular with the advent of home theater in the late 80's.

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I believe the russians first invented the subwoofer when they put a dog in a submarine.

Har har har....

5. Jack Briggs

Rick, think back to 1968: The original Infinity Servo-Static I electrostatic speaker system consisted of two largish electrostatic panels crossed over to an eighteen-inch subwoofer (and "subwoofer" was the word used by the company). And that woofer went low.

There was also, during the 1970s, the Hartley subwoofer (which went up to, if I recall, 24 inches). The Hartley made a lot of news when Mark Levinson included it in his so-called Decca/Quad/Hartley hybrid speaker system (two original Quad electrostatic speakers per side, mated with two Decca ribbon tweeters per side; both panels crossed over to a pair of Hartley subwoofers).

And who can forget that darling of the high-end audio crowd, perhaps the most famous subwoofer of the 1970s: the Janis W-1 subwoofer.

Also, in 1976, Dahlquist introduced the DQ-1W "subwoofer" to mate with its legendary DQ-10a phased-array dynamic speaker system. Though Dahlquist literature referred to this 10-inch driver in a sealed enclosure as a "subwoofer," it was not, rolling off as it did by 3 dB at 40 Hz.

Then Polk Audio, in 1979, introduced the LF-14 "subwoofer" system (two six-inch drivers venting into a 14-inch passive radiator).

Need I go on?

(Throughout this entire era, no one used the phrase "home theater.")

6. Jack Briggs

Oh, and even before then, in the 1960s, Electro-Voice (remember them?) used to market a huge all-in-one speaker system called the Electro-Voice Patrician, whose bass output was handled by a massive 30-inch woofer. E-V also marketed this 30-inch driver separately as (you guessed it) a "subwoofer."

7. Tim Fennell

Tim Fennell Stunt Coordinator

Don't forget the SenSurround Subwoofers that came with the movie Earthquake. That goes back to 1974. Those speakers were 18" if I remember right.

8. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I think SVS made the first real subwoofer. [​IMG]