What's new

Subwoofers too expensive - need help building my own (1 Viewer)

Charles Herbert

Auditioning
so i decided to make my own subwoofer, but i cant find a place that sells parts for a subwoofer. Anybody have a good place to look? I have tried alot of the links here already, have i missed one?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Charles:

I am moving this to the DIY area of the forum as their are a lot of members that have built their own subs in this area.

Parker

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Go to SVS and just buy one... I doubt if you are going to save more than a hundred or two dollars. I guess though if you want to take up several week nights making the thing to save that much for go for it. Not a lot of profit in these and if you don't build them right your wasting your time and money...
I have had two friends that have tried the DIY and it sounded interesting to me as I used to love to work with wood and make things. After seeing theirs and also compairing pricing with SVS. I chose just to buy one. Everyone has their own way of doing things though so all's cool!

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Consider a 15" Dayton quatro woofer from Parts Express and the 240w plate amplifier from Parts Express. It was a nominal 200 watts but has a measured output into 4 ohms of 240 watts. Put the Quatro woofer into a vented box. Others here can clue you in about what dimensions and port diameter/length/quantity is needed to get the most from a vented Quatro 15".

Jack Keck

Second Unit
How much do you want to spend on this project? Rory's suggestion is a good one. In fact, it was the one I was planning to build before the 500 watt PE amp went on sale.:D I still spent under $400. I had the lumberyard whene I bought my mdf (medium density fiberboard, the stuff you make the box out of) and had the tools to finish it myself.

As of this coming Tuesday I will have been a civil servant for 29 years, so if I can do it, it should be a walk in the park for you.

The box does have to be rather big if you portit, but if you have the room for it, it is worth it.

I wish I could say I've heard other subs to compare it to, but the one I've heard that would be better (infinite baffle (built into the wall) with 4 15" drivers) was one I heard over two years ago. Of course, it sounded great, but I love mine, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks