What's new

Subwoofers, polyfill, amps... (1 Viewer)

Shawn.G

Second Unit
What is polyfill? How does it take the "boominess" out of the sub? I am on a tight budget now and am looking at getting a sub for around a 150-200 limit. Does anyone have suggestions about the sub, which I would like to be powered, unless getting an unpowered sub and buying am amp is cheaper???? Also, if the polyfill is definitely worth it, how do you install it? I don't care if it screws up the warranty, but is there a huge risk of messing the sub up?

Jack Keck

Second Unit
As far as the sub goes, check out the DLS 10 inch sub from Partsexpresscom. 10" powered sub for $100 plus shipping. It's part #300-630.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
How do you think the DLS 10 inch sub from Partsexpresscom compares to the Sony SA-WM40 or to the audiosource 10" sub?

Jack Keck

Second Unit
I have no idea how the DLS sub compares to anything, but if anyone in the metropolitan Detroit area is interested in a comparison, I'm game.

I'd even like to hear it against a much better sub, just to hear what I'd get if I upgaded.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
As far as messing up your amp, don't make the same mistake I made. I overstuffed my sub and laft no cooling space for the amp. A transistor blew in my main power supply and the sub kept on blowing fuses after that.

David Richards

Auditioning
Im afraid I dont understand overstuffing the WM40. I got mine today to complement my million dollar stereo system (yeah rite) Out of the box it sounds like total please return me crap. You are insane if you think it sounds good without stuffin it up. Hearing it after i stuffed it with sixteen oz of mother supplyed polyfil you could tell me this is a five hundred dollar sub and i would believe you. with the wm40 when i opened it up there is no exposed amp or really anything to see in there besides the other side of its port tube and a small area and enclosure where the power button is. I filled all sides execept the port side got a really skimpy fill in if at all, im not sure why i did that but it seemed like a good idea at the time. I didnt use anything to secure the polyfil in there, because i didnt have anything to secure it with, but it seems to be a total non-issue as it doesnt want to move anyways.

overstuffing? i donno 16oz seems about rite. Btw since u must stuff this sub for it to be any good i recomend using a power screwdriver. with 8 screws thats alot of hand turning, you mise well be screwing yourself i say ;[]

take it ez,

-David

DanielN

Stunt Coordinator
I stuffed about 1 1/2 bags of polyfill in my Audiosource SW Fifteen...do you think that is too much?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks