Subwoofers- Polk or Sony

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by MaxF, Mar 17, 2005.

1. MaxF

MaxF Auditioning

Dilema dilema. Before I go further, I will say that I am a recent gcolege grad on a pretty tight income with notes to pay.
    I recently purchased a sony SA-WX700- twin 10 inch 250 watt subwoofer for my room. It was new on ebay for something around 200 shipped. In anticipation, I bought a little polk psw10- 10 inch 50 watt to pass the time. It was also ~200.

My dilema is that the polk sounded so good that I am tempted to keep it insteaed of the sony. It sounds like more bass out of this little thing than that ugly sony fort. Also, ebay has aseries 303 100 watt polk brand new shipped for less than 200. WIll a polk 100 watt stand the bass test to a sony 250 watt? I this possible?

Low-budget help???

2. MaxF

MaxF Auditioning

Any 2 cents are invited. Any other suggestions open as well.

3. Peter Marcks

Peter Marcks Stunt Coordinator

Dear Max,

You should choose the product that you prefer within your specified budget, irrespective of specifications, simple as that. Rated amplifier power is typically a poor means of comparison on it's own, as there is also enclosure design, driver design, amplifier design, and other considerations that are very important in shaping the overall result. A skilled designer who has a good understanding of physics can do great things with a subwoofer using very little amplifier power. We know about this first-hand, as many of our products have used relatively low amplifier power for years, with very good measured results.

Finally, keep your eye on used products not only at ebay but at other websites such as www.audiogon.com where you can occasionally find a great used subwoofer for as much as 50% off, if not more. Often times, a higher end design of yesterday sold at a discount will be a better performer than a lower end design of today sold brand new.

Take care

Sincerely,

4. MaxF

MaxF Auditioning

Peter, Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I really like how the Polk looks in comparison to that bulky sony, but I also really want performance. I will check that site out and keep my eyes open. No rush in the world.

Max

5. Peter Marcks

Peter Marcks Stunt Coordinator

My pleasure Max! Have a great night!

Sincerely,