What's new

Subwoofers jumping in price? (1 Viewer)

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
I guess in my area, things have gotten back to normal. You can pretty much get any appliance you want with good discounts off of MSRP. I just bought a LG washer for $800 on sale which has a $1050 MSRP. This same washer was about that same price 4 years a go.

As I said, I see no shortages. If I want a refrigerator, I can walk into any Lowes, Menards, or Home Depot and leave the same day with it. Now 1-1/2 years ago it took 8 months to get a refrigerator but today things are back to normal.

As much as I'd like to leave politics out of it, the politicians put things into law that can keep commerce from happening. I know, I live right next to Chicago that has been in a lock down where everything was hard to get due to the people in control. I live in Indiana where nothing is locked down and we are Free to live our lives normally. Thus I have the ability to buy anything I want without a hardship on waiting for it.

So in my area, I see no issues as everything is back to normal here. I guess in Chicago, New York, Boston, and other cities, people may not be so lucky.

However, even Chicago has been back to normal now a days. So while maybe issues are still happening other places, I don't have any of those hardships I had during the pandemic, now. Prices may not be discounted as deeply as they were pre-pandemic times, they surely haven't been rising. Subwoofers, not normal speakers, seem to be the exception as weird as it is.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
20220807_122758.jpg

*Shrugs*

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
Yep, I bought one earlier at $279 and was trying it out. The price was OK as I found you could buy the R-12SW wired only version for $200 on Amazon from an Authorized dealer. That $200 is appealing though but Amazon has had it for $240 but Costco return policies were worth the extra $40 to me plus them being local.

What I didn't like was the finish. It's slick and scratches very VERY easily. Just touching it I caused all kind of scratches which was ridiculous. My cats get on my Polk and Velodyne subs all the time and never left any scratches on the thick robust black laminate on them yet me just moving the sub around caused scratches. I like to keep my stuff looking good so I was very disappointed in that. That same bad finish was used on their high end R-112SW sub as well. The replacements for all those subs, the R-120SW (which I have now) and the SPL-120 went to a more robust wood grain black scratch resistant laminate. Still not as good as my Polk and Velodyne subs but much better than the R-12SWi I had.

On top of the bad finish, the R-120SW sounds significantly better. It's a bit tighter and more accurate. It just sounds better and the higher cost over the R-12SWi is justified. The wireless feature is not that great either, it has only one channel and wireless issues are reported on reviews. SVS has a nice $200 wireless sub adapter that is multichannel for homes with a lot of wireless streamers and devices that interfere with these devices.

The R-12SW, R-12SWi, and R-112SW are discontinued but Costco, Klipsch, Amazon, and Crutchfield are still selling them, must be left over stock.

Albert364

Auditioning
Real Name
Albert
I don't like subwoofers at all. I feel uncomfortable when they play very loudly. I like regular wireless speakers much better. I bought myself one of the best sounding Bluetooth speakers here that I can take outside with me. It plays exactly the same crystal clear sound regardless of volume, just like a subwoofer. It can also be connected to a TV for richer sound when watching a movie.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I don't like subwoofers at all. I feel uncomfortable when they play very loudly. I like regular wireless speakers much better. I bought myself one of the best sounding Bluetooth speakers here that I can take outside with me. It plays exactly the same crystal clear sound regardless of volume, just like a subwoofer. It can also be connected to a TV for richer sound when watching a movie.

Sorry, but you seem confused about what subwoofers actually are (or should be). They're meant only for handling the bass range of sounds, especially the lower/lowest part of bass, not what you're almost certainly talking about.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks