Subwoofers in $1,000 Range??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Leon O, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Leon O

Leon O Stunt Coordinator

Hello all,

Before I order an SVS 16-46cs+ with Samson 1000, I'd like to perform one last check to see if I've left out any contenders. Most of my research was done in the $300-$700 range. I tried a 20-39 & powered it with 60 watts & was very impressed!. But, I kept wondering if the 20-39 sounded this good, what a 16-46cs+ with 500 watts would sound like? So, my budget has increased...

- My system

- Marantz SR7200 (100hz fixed crossover)

- Mains - Plaisly SPL Monitors (full range towers to below 40hz)

- Center - Klipsh RC3

- Surrounds - Cerwin Vega (12")

- Center Surrond - being build (2 ADS 300i plates)

- Medium sized Room

My goal is to fill the bottom octave below 40hz with TIGHT, very deep bass.

After years in car audio, spending far more on my car than my home system, I have't heard bass that I preferred to the SVS. My only (minor) concerns with the SVS cs+ are:

- it does not have crossover controls in it, and the pc+ will not be out for a while. The addition of external EQ/Crossover would stretch my budget even further.

- it is large.

Although I'm probably going to order the SVS, I'd like to make sure I've covered all bases.

Thanks,

Leon

2. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

Check out Acoustic Visions for some other options before ordering.
    He can get you a great sub for less $$ then you might expect. If you want a tube though SVS would be the way to go for now.

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

4. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

5. Leon O

Leon O Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the input guys.

6. Marcus Lewis

Marcus Lewis Stunt Coordinator

I just got the exact same combo of a 16-46 CS+ and samson s1000...

After some initial user/moron issues (Sorry Ron and Tom) I am COMPLETELY and TOTALLY blown away by the performance ...

I've auditioned a LOT of systems locally but none have ever sounded as tight, refined and gut wrenching as my own home setup!

DVDs are on an entirely new level now and my only regret is that I didn't by a second 16-46CS+ ... But I will come August!

Since I'm in Trinidad I basically pay 40% in duties more than you guys and it's still worth every penny!!!

I really can't say enough good things about the sub/amp combo ... my only suggestion is that, if you are anything like me and listen to movies and play your XBOX at insanely loud levels, then order 2 subs one time to satisfy your thirst ...

Hope this helps ... Let it be known that IF I ever decide, for some insane reason, to upgrade these subs to something even more powerful, I'll only ever buy another SVS ...

Tom/Ron/Erik and company have made a lifelong customer based on one sale alone ... Hell if they ever went into the bookshelf speaker business (hint hint) I'd buy a set sight unseen/unheard/unreviewed.

I have not been paid for my opinions ... in fact I paid more than anyone else, lol

Additionally, I know SVS has at least 3 more sales here in Trinidad soon as my buds get a chance to come over and hear the system! Thanks again Tom/Ron/Erik!