What's new

Subwoofers for Music: REL, Revel (1 Viewer)

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for a sub for music. I heard a demo of a REL with B&W 802's and I could not believe the improvements in the sound. Not just the bass... EVERYTHING sounded better. Something about harmonics the REL literature explains.
I'm convinced that my Mirage OM-6's could benefit from a musical sub. Yes they have built in powered subs, but technically, the 802's are full range as well. I also have a dip in my room from about 60-80Hz, so I'm hoping a carefully setup sub will smooth out the room somewhat.
I'm interested in hearing about people's experiences with REL (or the Revel B15, although it's twice the price of the Strata III).
I am not looking for high output or super-deep extension. I am looking for musical, tuneful bass, and hoping to smooth out the bass response in my room. I also hope to get that overall magic sound improvement that I heard in the REL demo.
Any experiences to share?
Any other suggestions for musical subs in the $2000-4000 range (Canadian dollars)?

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
both the REL and the Revel are considered very *musical* subwoofers from what I've read. The Revel in particular includes some nice user adjustable features that might come in handy in this regard(parametric EQ/Q control).
A lot depends on the size of your room...and the type of output levels you'll be looking for. Do you want to be able to enjoy the occasional pipe organ selection at something close to realistic concert levels?
The AERIAL SW12 is another subwoofer to consider. I think you might be better off with a single paradigm servo15 and a seperate parametric EQ and/or *bassis* control box from marchand.
This would run

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks